1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius "Check Engine lamp" intermittent

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gopal Raman, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Gopal Raman

Gopal Raman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi
    My 2005 Prius check engine light comes on and goes off on a 24 to 48 hour cycle. It seems to turn on after the car has run for 30 mins (presumably after the engine has heated up) more so on a hot day. It turns off in a day or 2 usually when I start it in the early morning (outside temps between 45-55 in Northern California). It's been like this for the past 4 months.
    Another data point is that 2 weeks back my 12-V battery died completely and I replaced it without issues. I was hoping the check engine light would go away after this but it still has not.

Anybody have an idea what might be going on ? Car seems to run just fine as before. I heard that I could go to AAMCO and have engine code read for free. Will that give me more actionable info ?

Thanks
    -gopal

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! the first thing to check is the gas cap, perhaps it isn't sealing properly. how is your oil level?

you can try aamco, but there's no guarantee their reader will find the correct fault.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    either you have a loose gas cap or you have a bad catalytic converter....those are my guesses

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    priuschat is organized into sections related to different models and thus years of production. You may get more insights from finding the section that fits your car as the section for the v is a 2012-2016 era wagon forum.