1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius combo meter (dash) not lighting up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BentSpace, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had an intermittent issue with the combination meter (dash) for awhile now. It's been a rare occurrence till now. It's happened a few times now in the last couple weeks

Sometimes when I turn on the car the dash does not light up at all, except I think the check engine light briefly. I can still shift into drive and drive around. The center screen lights up, but mpg info is not displayed, current and mpg history. It does still show the energy flowing and the little car icons for energy generated. When this happens I also sometimes have trouble turning off the car and opening the rear hatch.

My 12v battery died recently and I replaced it with a Super Start battery from AutoZone. Not sure if that's related.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There was an extended warranty enhancement for the combo meter; 9 additional years from original vehicle sale date. 2005 + 9 years = 2014.

You are out of warranty. Call Toyota Customer Care, maybe they will extend some Goodwill gesture and cover a portion of the repair.

Your only options are to:
    1) replace with a used combo meter, but now you have the donor combo meter's odometer reading.
    2) send your combo meter in to get someone on eBay/Craigslist for repair or to Steve at Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana. Steve may have used combo meters laying around.
    3) live w/ a non-working combo meter.

BentSpace likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So does the problem still persists since the replacement?

The combo meters do go out and one known cause is bad soldering that breaks. There are some places that will repair them. I suspect the MFD gets its distance readings from the odometer so if that meter isn't working it can't calculate fuel economy numbers.

BentSpace likes this.
  4. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is still persisting. Actually think it might have started up again after I changed the battery.

5. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it difficult to repair?

Haven't been able to find instructions on repairing it myself, has anyone else found them?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone had a trick, where you would turn your headlight on before starting the car, then the combination meter would work

7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you asking for instructions for replacing your combo meter or repairing it? Here is a YouTube video that goes thru the dash disassembly and meter replacement. Repairing requires replacing components on the circuit board. We do this in our shop and program the mileage to match your car. I can send you one if your interested.

Matt

8. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering about repairing it myself, if possible.

Which components do you replace?

How much are you selling them for?

9. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also my engine start running a little rough when cold the last few days, but just now it was running rougher all the way home from work. The dash was on, but any chance this is related to the dash problem?

10. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unlikely that the two are related. Clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. That's the #1 reason for a rough running engine on these cars. After that you check spark plugs, air filter, and fuel delivery.

I will PM you about the combo meter repair.

Matt

11. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. Will I damage something, if I drive it before fixing the rough running problem?

12. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Going to clean the throttle body and MAF. Error code that came up was P0304, cylinder 4 misfire.