1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Cooling Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IHaveShirts, Apr 14, 2017.

1. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it a digital thermostat? I don't see any option for it on the dashboard or the screen.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    No, it is an old fashioned spring loaded valve that sits in the coolant loop just like in a standard car. Take it out and drop it in boiling water which should cause it to open. Get a new one and a gasket when you reinstall it.

JeffD

ps; I started a private topic with you and sent you a link to the Gen2 Prius maintenance manuals.

IHaveShirts likes this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The engine coolant system will not show turbulence in its reservoir.

P2601 is caused by a lack of flow in the CHRS system, not only by high temp. Here's an explanation and flow chart.

You could have a bad coolant temp sensor at the CHRS tank.

Even Toyota techs get the bleeding wrong sometimes. Has that been ruled out? Have you checked level in the cold radiator since you got the coolant system work done?

In earlier posts you mentioned a dry reservoir. Did you ever figure out where that coolant went?

IHaveShirts likes this.
  4. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reservoir that was empty was directly behind the radiator. There wasn't anything in it and it looked like there hadn't been anything in it in a while so i filled it up.
    Unfortunately, the mechanic is closed till Monday so I'm screwed till then. I just spent the last 5 hours going to junkyards around my area and none of them have any year prius on their lot. I'm looking for the wiring harness that goes to the inverter pump right above the left side tire. That little strip of wire got damaged when I had a bad blowout. They have it held in the mount of the pump with epoxy. The wires leading up to it are bare in some spots.
    Also looking for the cooling mount for the battery in the back. Somehow the managed to destroy it so after about an hour of driving, the fan in the back will get louder. The extra noise I heard in the back is gone after they "fixed" it but the fan still turns on like its overheating.
    Once it does start overheating, the gas engine won't shut off at all. The battery cells won't charge, they'll stay at 2 cells no matter how long I coast.

5. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In post #13 I said, "Your primary concerns should be 1) where did the coolant go, and 2) why does the battery fan come on." I think that still applies.

You may have a failing hybrid battery if it's not charging and the fan is running on high. If that's the case, it may not be worthwhile doing anything else on this car until that is addressed.

It's also a major concern that the engine coolant reservoir was dry.

The P2601 code is a minor issue. As long as there is coolant in the radiator and you're not getting an engine overheat warning, don't worry about that for now.

6. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery pack thats in it is brand new and has a warranty. It has maybe 200 miles under its belt and I've had it in the car about a month. That is essentially what started this whole thing. I made a U-turn and the entire dashboard lit up. I took it to the dealer and they checked it out. There was like 20 codes ranging from the AC not working to Cruise control not working. Both worked perfectly along with every other code so they attributed it to the battery pack failing after 120k miles.
    I never really brought the dry radiator reservoir to their attention, I just noticed it when I was looking for a reason to why its giving me that code. I will check tomorrow morning if that reservoir is full or dry.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also check the fluid level in the radiator itself.

8. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The radiator was full, while the reservoir was dry. That was about a week or so ago so I'll check again in the morning.

9. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The dealer (presumably Toyota?) installed a new hybrid battery and botched the installation of the cooling air duct. The battery fan is running and the battery is not charging correctly. It sounds like you're having a problem with the new battery and its installation. Have you been talking to the dealer about that?

10. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have literally taken it to the dealer 2-4 times a week for the past 6 weeks. It's not a Toyota dealer either, its a bhph. Each time they'll keep it for a day or so and give it back. Yes they did screw up something in the back. After they changed the battery it sounded like there was a screw or rock floating around the fan terminal in the back by the battery. I don't hear that noise anymore after I took it to them but it still doesn't seem to be cooling properly.

11. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reservoir behind the radiator is dry again, is that normal?

12. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The BHPH (had to look that one up) situation explains a bit. I would assume you did not get a new Toyota part with the battery replacement. Could they have installed a Dorman or similar? Or swapped with another Prius on the lot? If so, exercise the warranty and get another.

The car is either leaking or consuming coolant. That is definitely not normal, and could be damaging. Fill it again, and if it empties, get more tests done (radiator pressure test, engine compression test).

13. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They said it came in a Toyota box and said it was from them, I don't remember the exact brand they said. Do you know if a bad radiator hose would cause any problems with the water pump not working?

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. You need to figure out why the engine radiator coolant is dropping so quickly. Your post 10 says you replenished the coolant two weeks ago.
    2. Look at the engine coolant pump for signs of fluid weeping at the pump bearing. If any coolant stains, replace the pump.
    3. Inspect the radiator hoses for signs of leaking (which would be unusual.)
    4. Look at the engine oil level and see if any coolant is getting into the oil.
    5. Check the engine compression to see if there are any mechanical issues.
    6. The lack of coolant is one reason why DTC P2601 is being logged. You must have the coolant totally full at all times.
    7. Run the cabin heater and if you hear any air bubbling in the heater core, you need to purge the air out of the engine coolant system.
    8. While you are addressing the engine coolant issue, also identify and fix any wiring harness issues.

M in KC likes this.
  15. IHaveShirts

IHaveShirts New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] I'm looking to get the piece of wire that connects to the water pump above the left tire. Also looking for the cooling duct that cools the battery pack in the back. I've been to many junkyards around me and no one has a prius on their lot. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

#35 IHaveShirts, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Contact Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana to see if Steve has them in stock. He has a lot of Gen2 parts on his shelf.

JeffD