1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pixbroker, Apr 15, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my sis is a service writer for Ford. on new models, only basic parts are stocked at the dealership. the repair you describe would take a minimum of 3 days for any dealership. the part would have to be trucked in. i say 3 days but according to her, that would be a best case scenario. she said a week is not unusual if the part is coming from the east coast. on newer models, that is not uncommon.

*edit**

ooops... should have said IF the part has to be trucked in

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PixBroker, what's your geographic location? I think my brother would like a Prius. Since yours is so unreliable, I'll give you $10,000 to take the POS off your hands.

Ok, maybe $10,500 but since it has documented unreliability issues, I can't go higher than that.

3. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

A transmission going bad in a less than 1 year old car is pretty bad. VERY bad in fact! I can agree with your frustration. But, I think you're jumping the gun too early on selling it. Keep it at least another year or two then see if you change your mind. Is there anything else making you want to sell the car?

The fact that the dealer had 3 Prii at the same time needing new transmissions alerts me quite a bit I must admit! Just when I made my mind up on getting a Prius... hrmmmmm.

If you buy another car, don't listen to the advice about the VW's! My service reps all know me by name. I know them by name. The shuttle guy who takes me to work while my car is in the shop know me by name. They all know where I work and so on. I had a casual conversation with the shuttle guy last time my car was in the shop (last week) about VW's. He assured me that I'm not the only one who has VERY frequent trips to the dealer. He vowed to never buy a VW, nor will he recommend one. They break and they break often. My car just had the catalyst converter replaced at 97,000 miles replaced free under their 10yr/100,000 mile warranty as with most of the repairs that were replaced under warranty. Keep your car. If it breaks again within the next year... dump it before the warranty expires and LET ME KNOW! I'll have to put the Honda back on my list of potentials if that happens to ya with a Toyota. My VW has consistantly been in and out of the shop the 7 years I've owned it. :(

I've given serious thought about selling my car within the next 3000 miles but I changed my mind. I'm keeping it as a 2nd car after I get my new car. I'm trying to wait on the newly designed 94mpg prius. But in case of an emergency, I still haven't ruled out the possibility of getting a cheap non-hybrid quite yet. Those tC's and non-hybrid Civics are quite reasonably priced. :)

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The right answer is to find out the exact nature of this "short",
    what caused it, what if anything could be a preventive retrofit
    if needed [similar to the battery fixup in the classic], and how
    to redesign future models to prevent the problem up front. You are
    in a prime position to persist in getting this information from
    your service guys as they talk to their own tech infrastructure, and
    then post whatever you find out here. This may be able to mitigate
    the fact that left to themselves, Toyota will just sit on the facts
    and we'll never be the wiser.
    _H*

5. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pixbroker @ Apr 18 2006, 11:34 PM) [snapback]241919[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing personal, but that's just asinine. Despite high hopes and expectations, cars (both new or otherwise) occasionally break down... even high quality cars like the Prius. While both annoying and inconvenient, that's also precisely the reason for the warranty. Might as well use it, considering that you've already paid for it anyway.

On the other hand, perhaps the real problem is that you simply have more money than you know what to do with. In that case, allow me to point out that LERF (the Landstander Early-Retirement Fund) is always accepting donations. No amount is too large! :p

6. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Apr 19 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]241960[/snapback]</div>
    Oh dear. Lest anybody take advise concerning a large monetary purchase from an anonymous source on the net: the above was sarcasm. The recommended models have, in fact, reputations for being unreliable. Curiously, they also seem to attract a loyal following.

Is there a sarcasm smiley face?

7. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Maybe you just didn't love your Prius enough. Did you talk to it, hug it... coddle it every single day? If not, then I think it turned on you and wants a different owner.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Apr 19 2006, 01:40 AM) [snapback]241960[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of a joke:

Q: What does it mean when your English sports car stops leaking oil on the driveway?
    A: It's out of oil.