1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius, Emergency Brake, ABS and Brake System warning light on? Code data inside

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sr79, Feb 26, 2019.

1. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have a 2005 Prius with about 133k miles. Inverter coolant pump replaced 2 years ago when I bought it. I was driving home and the Red "Brake" light,"ABS", and a yellow exclamation light came on. I think the last light is brake warning system? It is an exclamation point inside a circle with parentheses around it. I attached a pic. The Maintenance required light is always on, I think its from an oil change. I turned off my AC to listen for weird noises but did not hear any. It drove to work fine in the morning and it came on when i was halfway home on my 40 minute 27 mile commute. The belt on the alternator appears to be intact and working normal as well.

I used a scanner and these codes were thrown:

C2318 Low Voltage Error (then tested the 12 volt while parked and it read 12.4 with the car off)
    C1391 Abnormal Leak in the Accumulator
    B1421 Solar Sensor Circuit Passenger side

Other Codes it through which I figured would happen because sometimes my combo meter dies
    B1271 Combo meter ECU communication stop

Any idea what the issue could be?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be your brake accumulator going out. are you using tech stream?

how long did you wait after shutting down to test the 12v?

sr79 likes this.
  3. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a generic scanner.

Is the break accumulator an expensive part? I waited maybe an hour to test the batter

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try the battery after 4 hours. generic scanners can be mistaken, and don't pinpoint anything.

the accumulator is a few thousand at a dealer, or 5-600 used

sr79 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how old is the 12v, it could need a load test

sr79 likes this.
  6. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not the original owner so I am not sure how old the 12V is. I was going to make a toyota account tonight to see if I could see any dealer mxn on the vehicle. I have owned it 2 years or so and its an 05.

Is the accumulator some sort of pump? Like this: https://parts.westcoasttoyotalb.com/p/Toyota__Prius/BRAKE-BOOSTER-ASSEMBLY---WITH-MASTER-CYLINDER/62923715/4705047140.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla_with_promotion&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5NPjBRDDARIsAM9X1GI9-rDiEXe8dKgweD29KHWnL16L1EPZEITcOVWGLmwx9cBsocAM4pkaAqyLEALw_wcB ?

I think this part changed between Gen 2 and Gen 3, I am not seeing a lot of google results that tell me if I am looking at a Gen 2 part

Am I in any danger with the brake error?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they did change iirc. that is the part. i don't think you're in danger, but get a handle on the 12v. we have had reports of a low 12v causing the pump to run slowly, o the normal buzz you hear sounds different and longer. also, a honking/barking noise is an indicator, but not necessarily dangerous.

once you've eliminated the 12v, a proper scan is in order.

sr79 and SFO like this.
  8. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read the 12v for this prius is proprietary and must come from the dealer due to venting? is that true or are their aftermarket substitutes?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a number of exact fit agm aftermarket batteries at auto parts stores and on line, including the required vent tube connection.
    they're still not cheap though. it's worth comparing price and warranty

Skibob, sr79 and SFO like this.
  10. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went and checked the battery and also recorded a video of a noise i heard.

After letting the car set I turned it on and checked the battery and it seemed to be at 11.4 in accessory mode. I then drove it for about 1 minute just the length of a couple of houses to see if the car would stop.

Running the car was at 14V
    I then turned the car off. After pushing the power button once, the battery was at 12.4.
    I then pushed the power button again to put the car in accessory mode and it ran 11.6

11. sr79

sr79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I made a video. I guess there is a bit of an odd noise. Happens when I touch the breaks even when the car is off

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify, that would be the water pump belt.

Skibob and sr79 like this.
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The second voltage is a bit meaningless, as it is largely surface charge. The fact that when you put a small load on it it drops to 11.6, which says to me that your 12 V aux battery is not in good shape. You maybe able to improve it by properly charging it (using a battery charger), but the reality is you more than likely need to replace it.
    The B1421 is nothing about which to worry.

The B1271 is as you said, and can be fixed by getting a rebuilt CM in exchange for your broken one for ~$150 from Matt @Texas Hybrid Batteries, provided you are happy to open the dash and remove and replace the CM.

C1391 may be as simple as a leak in the brake system somewhere, or not so simply an internal leak in the accumulator.

Here is the work up for that: 2004 Prius RM - DTC C1391 Inspection Procedure

See if the C2318 comes back (it should clear when you disconnect the old battery) after you have replaced the 12 V aux battery.

bisco, sr79 and SFO like this.
  14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get your Combo meter replaced for a very good price here

Texas Prius Battery Replacement

This is going to sound silly but clean your battery connections and see if that helps. I had my brakes go out on me and it stopped doing it after I cleaned the terminals. Got a new 12v 2 weeks later but that’s Abother story. Plus what Dolj said. 11.5 volts is very low. That’s what my battery was when I had that problem.