1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius gas engine wont start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by motocrosser4, Nov 9, 2015.

1. motocrosser4

motocrosser4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, new to the forum world as of today. Thank you all for all that you do any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday morning i got in my car to go to work, noticed that the gas engine never turn on but thought maybe the hybrid battery level was high. Drove about 300ft and noticed the gas engine never turned on and now the hybrid battery level was very low, immediately i turned around to go back home but before i made it the car shut off.
    Current dash lights on are, Red triangle, vsc, abs, brake light, a yellow light with a circle and exclamation point, my gas gauge flash full to empty, (YES IM SURE I HAVE GAS IN TANK).
    Recently replaced 12v battery with yellow top optima battery.
    Please help
    Also the check engine light IS NOT ON.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to pull the trouble codes. how many miles on her?

3. motocrosser4

motocrosser4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    211k, will their still be trouble codes even though the check engine light is not on?

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If some fault light has been on then there is fault code in the memory. Fault codes stay in memory until they are cleared with computer or 12V battery is disconnected.

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There may be no codes for the engine, which may be in proper working order, but there will be for the other system(s) that failed. It sounds like a hybrid system problem. You need a Toyota scan tool or equivalent. Better check that new battery, too. What's the voltage at the terminals?

6. motocrosser4

motocrosser4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12.1v at the terminal. Do you know where i could buy a toyota scan tool?

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can buy Mini VCI from many different places including ebay and amazon.

8. motocrosser4

motocrosser4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think if i disconnect the battery for some hours it would clear the codes? If so whats the rule of thumb for how long i should leave it disconnected?

9. motocrosser4

motocrosser4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok cool, sounds great, im assuming this tool could also read the hybrid system codes?

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    10min is enough; probably even a minute is enough. But why would you want to clear the codes without finding what’s the problem?

Mini VCI can do everything that dealer can. You do need Win XP laptop for it.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to charge or replace the battery.

12. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    +1 for "you have to pull the codes" before we really know what you're working with.

13. motocrosser4

motocrosser4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok guys i found code uo100, any thoughts?

14. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2004 gen II Code U0100 | PriusChat

That's the first result I got with I googled "prius code u0100", and it seems to fit the bill perfectly. I'd say an integration relay is bad, although someone more knowledgeable than me might know whether or not the symptoms/code you're experiencing could be caused by a different failure.

If I understand correctly, there are two integration relays in the Gen II Prius, FYI. It's a pretty rare part to go bad, so you might be fine just replacing the broken one. The parts themselves aren't too expensive though (~$115 each). If you wanted to replace both, I'd bet it will be somewhere around a $400-$500 bill including labor.

15. motocrosser4

motocrosser4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks johnny b588, i am leaning towards the integration relay. I found the efi fuse blown which is a 15 amp. I replaced it and it immediately blew again. I found a new one on ebay for 40$ but i might as well replace both. I also cleaned he throttle body and MAF sensor. Will keep you guys posted on the repair whenever it arrives.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While you are waiting to receive your parts, I suggest you put a charger on the 12V battery since 12.1V is close to a discharged condition.

17. Bob Greenough

Bob Greenough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After reading several posts and replies, it is clear that there are a lot of smart Pruis owners or guys/gals who can just figure things out.
    I have a technical question, that I would appreciate some feedback on with my 2005 Pruis.

In Brief:
    History: Appx 254k, replaced 2 battery cells about 12 months ago (Oct 2014). Was able to restart car and has been running at 47mpg until this week.... another cell went bad as I was well aware of the symptoms.
    Today (Nov 2015): Appx 286k, one cell at 7.1 v, all others at 8.1 or 8.15 v. I removed the one cell and replaced it with a spare that I still had from 2014. The replacement cell was 7.4 v (Appeared to be within spec) but not equivalent with the other 27 cells at 8.1v.
    Problem: After reassembling the unit with replacement cell, and installing, the car will not start. Lights are still on and do not go away. Even when resetting codes by using meter. I am not sure if there is a special sequence or procedure that must be followed to restart or reboot the computer after replacing the battery pack.
    Here is what I have tried after trying to restart several times.
    - Battery Pack reads 217 VDC at power connectors on battery side of switch. All connections including safety plug appears to be in order
    - Verified Codes have been cleared. by using code reader.
    - Battery (12Vdc) , positive and negative removed for over 20 min to ensure that the computer will reset. 12vdc Battery appears to still be in good shape reading 12Vdc.

Same problem....
    Even if the batteries were not perfectly re-balanced, wouldn't the car start? Even with the error codes?
    What do you recommend is the best course of action at this point? Is there a power up sequence once you replace the battery pack? Should I replace that 7.4v cell with a cell that is 8.1v to match other 27? It appears that the delta voltage is very critical.
    Does the bottom side wire on the 28th cell (my 7.4v cell) control the starting of the vehicle?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the module pairs need to be within 0.3V of each other. If they are not, then the traction battery ECU will log a fault code and the car may not start.

The best course of action is to buy and install a new traction battery.

The cheapest course of action is to make battery module replacement a hobby, which is what you have started to do.

Bob Greenough likes this.
  19. Bob Greenough

Bob Greenough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, Patrick.... If I only had a $1 for every time someone told me to give it up.... I just have to find the solution to this puzzle.
    Thanks for your prompt response and information.
    I have already ordered the replacement module, but with my impatience, I used the extra one on the bench that I bought from last year, even at 7.4, I thought I would give it a try..... So I found my answer..Thanks.

I looked up where the ECU is located. thanks.
    In parallel, I think I want to try two things.
    - research the appropriate method of recharging of the three cells I have. i.e. Create a diagram with an appropriate power source as well as battery cell hookup.
    - Install the replacement module that should be within the 0.3 v spec that you mentioned.

So, there is no trick to restarting after reconnecting the 12v battery and the safety plug?

Thanks again, you have been helpful.
    Bob

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does the car become ready when you power up?