1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius - Getting Triangle with !, CEL, VCS and the circle with !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by manolommad, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your only option was to repair the car for $5K and you think it is only worth $5K, then in retrospect it would have been far better to tow the unrepaired car to a salvage yard and walk away.

Which fan are you talking about, there are many fans installed in the car. For example, there are two fans in the engine compartment, mounted behind the radiator, which provide radiator cooling.

No, it is not worth keeping the car if you are unlucky and the car continues to have major issues.

2. jm2774

jm2774 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They said it was the HV battery fan. I don't have public tranportation where I live and I cannot ride my bike because of the extreme heat. It would be quite a process to get a new car and decide which car to get. Is anyone having this much trouble? If so let me know because I am contemplating writing a complaint about how crappy this car has turned out to be coincidentally shortly after the warranty is up. I mean I bought this car used with 10k miles in 2006 for and within 6 years it has been great but as soon as the 100k warranty goes up about 9K miles later it cost about $6K to fix it. Please reply with some suggestions :) thanks

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One suggestion is that you could replace the traction battery fan yourself, it is located in the hatch trim on the right side. Repair manual info can be found at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website and you can either purchase a used part from a place like autobeyours.com or else buy new from one of the Toyota dealers that sell via the web at 25% MSRP discount, for example Champion Toyota in Houston.

The Prius is usually highly reliable but if you are unlucky, your car has a serious problem and you must rely on dealer service, then plan to pay a four-digit repair bill for each occurrence.