1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius hatch back keyless problems and low beam on one driver side

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by logopenn, Feb 16, 2014.

1. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i have a 2005 prius got it 2 years ago when it hade 120,000 miles now has 211,000 runs good but last week on my driver side the tail light and low beam light stopped working at the same time the high beam works fine what could it be?

my keyless was working fine tell this week went to pick up a reptile and i locked the doors while the car was running went into a store and came back out keyless didnt work i thought it was the battery because i had to get closer and closer for it to work latly so i went to advances auto parts got a battery put it in and it still would not work i put it into slot went about my day because iv had alot to do the last few days and when i got out later in the day i forgot it wasnt working and used it and it worked i got home and shut off car went in came out in the morning and it would not work again does anyone know what could be the problem normal wear and tare oil changes all that have been done ever 4 to 5000 miles havent been to dealer because iv got to do for the next few days still

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you got a new fob battery or 12 volt battery?

3. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    new battery for the keyless remote not a new 12 volt but i was told by the dealership when i got the car it had a new 12v battery put in

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    100k is a lot of mileage, you may want to test it.

5. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i think advances auto parts checks battery's for free i can stop by one while im out tomorrow and have it checked and post back with if its good or not if its not good ill replaces it while im there

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds good. make sure you pay attention to thier testing methodology in case they say it's good and post it here for furthr diagnosis.

7. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Tested battery at advance they h ade the car off hooked thing up to 12v battery says its good voltage 12.49 measured 355 cca rated 325 cca temperature 43 f
    but when they checked i notest about 4 inches of frozen water down in the places where battery is and about 2 3 inches up on battery sorry about that phone auto spell kills me

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "did not eat water frozen nerve battery"?o_O

9. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Auto spell on my phone missed It up I corrected it

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have a hatch leak, probably at a weld seam. there are threads on this fix. as far as the battery is concerned, check out the battery testing threads to see if they did it correctly.

11. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Cool do u think that could cause the problem the water being down there on it

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only if the battery doesn't test out. unless it's intermittant.

13. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I checked around on here the battery test was done right should have gotten one while it was on but it has tested good also I can use key to get into the car and I can put fob into slot and start car

14. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    okay so I replaced the battery again and now my car will walk but it won't unlock and if I walk up to it just opened the door unlocked but my own lock button doesnt work and I can push the button to start the car and it works outadvance would not refund me on the first battery thatdid not work

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "...last week on my driver side the tail light and low beam light stopped working at the same time the high beam works fine what could it be?"
    Replace the tail light, and the headlight.

16. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hole unit or just bulbs thought it weird that they both stopping working at the same time

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sure that you can immediately tell when the headlight low beam stops working, but how often do you have occasion to inspect the tail lights to make sure they are working? Is it possible that the tail light died 50K miles ago but you did not notice it?

In any event, you can replace the individual bulbs.

18. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    someone was directing me out backing out on the road and regular beam headlight went out same time as tail light its was my brother he was like dude your tail light and head light went out

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting.

Well, the tail light and headlight operate on separate circuits. It is not obvious what would cause one tail light and one headlight to fail at the same time. I suggest you try replacing the tail light first, and if that works then try replacing the halogen headlight next.

20. logopenn

logopenn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thanks for the information and I'll get back to you and let you know if it worked