1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius HID bulb replacement gone bad

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Six7390GT, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Six7390GT

Six7390GT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,
    I've been able to get one of the new bulbs in, but the light doesn't come on. I have noticed a white covered wire with a connector on the end. It's not hooked up to anything, seemed to be that way when I got the back cover off. I've looked to see if it plugs in somewhere, but can't see much, even with a mirror. Can someone chime in with some info on where this plugs into, if it does? Thanks.

2. Six7390GT

Six7390GT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, found it. That's a 2 wire, -pink and black wires-, white sheathed connector. It plugs into the back cover that "unscrews" to allow access to the bulb. It was a lot easier to find out where it went than to actually get it plugged back in. I don't have much skin left on the back of my hand, ouch. But now the light is working.
    Not sure I want to tackle the passenger bulb right now. I suppose if I did these all the time they would be a cinch, but my first time at this was worse than I thought it would be.

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This might help, I can't get my hands down behind the headlight assemblies at all. I just pull the entire assembly out. You'll need a flat and phillips "+" style screwdriver and a a small 1/4 in drive socket set . Takes me about 15 minutes per side, it will probably take you longer since you're new to the process. Here's the youtube video:

Notice that there is a third bolt on the side of the headlight assembly.

4. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Another hint is to take off the fuze box cover, flip it over and use it as a tray for all the clips and bolts.
    1. remove the rad cover (large black plastic cover) small philips clips, use the phillips screwdriver to twist the plastic clips to the left (you may have to hold down the base with your fingers) once the clip pops up you can remove it from the cover. Use the flat scredriver to remove the three clips that hold the top of the bumper cover to the radiator support, (pry up on the center portion, once the center pops up, you can easily remove the push-clip) and the phillips screwdriver to remove the two rubber bumpers.