1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 prius needs need battery San Diego

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Sarah Butler, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Sarah Butler

Sarah Butler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a 2005 prius with 189k miles. We got the infamous warning light 2 years ago and since that time we've paid $1600 to have cells rebuilt. The car is in generally great condition and well cared for so likely we can go another 100k. We are not currently having a problem but we know it's coming so in order to be proactive, what are the reasonable options to replace / repair main battery? And is it worthwhile?

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat Sarah. Sorry nobody has got back to you yet, but hang around a while and surely somebody will. Unfortunately I can't offer any help.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car is still in good shape, you can put in a late model 2015+ battery for $2000 and it'll last you much longer than your $1600 rebuilt battery

4. swiftyprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am in SD as well, with a 2008 model with 125k. I am starting to get concerned about our battery and have been looking around a bit. I have found several shops that sell refurbished batteries, but this thread really caught my interest.
    Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells | PriusChat

Where have you had the battery serviced previously? Perhaps they would be willing to install this for you?

RCO likes this.