1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius no longer glide.. (kinda sluggish)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nakago12, Feb 28, 2008.

1. nakago12

nakago12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    got about 40K miles on 2005 Prius.

it's been running beautifully for the past 2 plus years. and always get close to 47-52 mpg. i drive with the "pulse and glide" methods that often gets better than 50 mpg.

lately, i notices it does not glide.... anymore. my car actually slows down on a downhill pretty rapidly. it at least held same speed on the same downhill glide before...
    i have 2 brand new tires in the front and the back tires are good too. what could be the problem?

need engine flush? better oil change? ( i just use very generic shops like jiffy lube, purfect auto.. what can i check?

2. G0ldenchild562

G0ldenchild562 New Member

I have a 2008 model and i notice that if i go over 40 MPH it does not glide. However, if i go below 40MPH it does glide.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The new tires are my first thought for placing blame...new tires take a couple thousand miles to break in.
    Also, I notice a reduction in glide distance when a tire gets low on pressure. If you used to run 42/40psi when you had the new tires put on they may have dropped you back to 35/33 and that would cause a very noticable increase in rolling resistance.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stop using "B"
    _H*

5. nakago12

nakago12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "stop using B"

hahahah, yes it actually does feel like I am using B.

speaking of OIL changes, is there a good place (national chain) besides the toyota dealer (who charges alot)

like Goodyear, meinke, or something..

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    try putting it in neutral and see if it glides the same distance.

Also, check if you're in stage 4.

7. captnpops

captnpops Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005(bought new),k with 61K, it is running better than ever.. a couple of things I have observed..
    1. when tires are rebalanced or new Costco will not set the higher PSI and that makes a significant difference in the 'feel'
    2. moisture on the road is a drag element.
    3. my last oil change a toyoda was 5-20 and the car seemed to be floating on air.
    4. the front grill is blocked and air intake is monitored with a scan guage. this helps a little.
    5. finally, re-check what your new tires resistance is... my winter micheins are better than my rest of the year , hyroedges..
    good luck! i love this car!:wof: