1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Noisy "LIFTER" From Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott Dube, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Scott Dube

Scott Dube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently had my AC serviced and had my Evaporator Coil replaced at 132,000 miles. I also had my cracked Drive Belt replaced as well. Now, after thinking I had a couple big jobs out of the way and I should be good for a while I started to hear a slight clicking coming from either under the dash or in the engine compartment. It would start when I hit a certain RPM. At first I thought it was something rattling under the dash since the dash was just removed for the evap coil. The technician that did the coil job confirmed this is a noisy lifter. He recommended using a heavier "high mileage" oil. I know there are some other oil treatments out there for this problem. Has anyone else had this happen and if so what did they use to quiet the noisy lifter? Is getting lifters adjusted and tightened an expensive job? Can someone give me some good advice for this please? I'm hoping to get at least 200 - 300,000 out of this car.

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the 2G Prius does not have hydraulic valve lifters.

The two camshafts contact metal "buckets" which cover the valve stems and are the means to adjust valve clearance. It is certainly possible that the valves need adjusting. The process to do so is very labor-intensive as it is necessary to remove the valve cover, then remove the camshafts and replace the buckets as needed to correct the clearance.

Therefore you should expect the charge at your local Toyota dealer will be in the high-three digit range if not into low four-digits.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch.:eek:

theshark likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Scott-
    What kind of oil and how often and where was it changed please?

5. cthorsman

cthorsman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased a 2004 in 2009 with over 180,000 miles. It had an engine tap. Took it in to a dealer to have a toyota mechanic check out the vehicle. Lucked into an experienced, trustworthy mechanic. One of the questions I asked about was the tapping. He said it was a lifter tap. I asked about fixing it and he explained the process. He reccomended leave it alone unless it became more pronounced.

100,000 miles later it still has the same tap. I think every Toyota I have owned has had a tap. :)

6. Coolride17

Coolride17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree, unless it's getting louder and louder, I wouldn't mess with it either. I've rebuilt many engines in my life, and worked as a tech for GM over 20yrs., and I've seen so many engines that just tick, and there's nothing you can do short of major labor time, and trouble. Some of those Nissans are notorious for tappet noise, I gave up on those darn things when I had my repair shop, and told the customer to just live with it, or get another car. You can shim them perfect, and they still tick, to heck with it.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Btw, its right about in here where the engine starts burning oil so make sure you check the oil at every fill up.