1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius not charging 12v while driving. 195k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by coastiegunner, Sep 8, 2015.

1. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have charged the battery, I have bought a new battery, I have Charged the new battery... All with no avail.. Slowly but surely one at a time the abs trac control and stability control lights come on and eventually the triangle of death... Meaning when I shut it off its not going to restart.. If i drive it sparingly it might take a week if i drive it all day then it takes one day... when fully charged there is no warning or sign that there is a battery issue or draining untill the voltage is starting to get low. I have an ultra gauge hooked up and shows 14.14 while driving, I am lost as to whats the issue. also no codes or pending codes... I have taken the new battery to auto zone and had a functional test done.. said checked good... signed befuddled

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

What you've written suggests that somehow you've convinced yourself that your ABS, traction and stability control warning lights are telling you about a problem with your 12 volt battery, despite the facts that (a) you've done a pretty good job of ruling out the battery as a problem area, (b) your UltraGauge is showing the voltage while driving to be perfectly adequate to charge the battery, (c) you didn't include any voltage readings of the battery (while the car is off) to show whether or not its voltage really is declining from trip to trip, (d) your ABS, traction and stability control warning lights are primarily there to warn you about problems with your ABS, traction and stability control, and (e) when cleared, they are likely to eventually come back if the problems they are warning you about have not been fixed.

What were you using to read for codes, when you found "no codes or pending codes"?

-Chap

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, you may have a parasitic drain, or something else. what is the stone cold battery voltage before and after charging? what battery did you buy, and what was the voltage when you installed it?

4. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The codes were read by the Ultra gauge. I have successfully read and cleared codes with in the past. (not saying that its perfect or can do everything the car requires)
    Its my belief that the yellow trac, abs, stability lights are correlated due to the fact that they illuminate one at a time mins apart, approximately 30 mins before the red triangle. At that point if the car is shut off it will not return to ready. (I am not clearing the brake lights between.. they are reset on their own when the battery charge is adequate.
    If it was a brake issue would not the codes remain untill cleared or the battery was disconnected?

I have the smart key system turned off.
    resting after shut off shows .0014 drain.

Going out to run a series of tests now for requested voltage #s....
    Optma yellow top battery new as of feb this year from amazon.

side note: bisco Im currently in southern nh.. If i am unable to get a reasonable fix on here is there any decent toyota dealers around you that you trust not to rip you off and fix your car?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The gold standard would be to read the codes with a Mini VCI, but if you don't have access to one, it might reveal a lot if you at least collect and post the blink codes the next time those warning lights are on. There are a lot of threads (one I saw just in the last day or so) with details on where to jumper to trigger the blink code output, with pictures even.

Cheers,
    -Chap

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just my two cents worth, the OP just mentioned "Yellow Top"

Could this be another story of a bad battery coming out of Mexico. It seems we see this a lot on this board.

Everything I see either points to a bad battery or a short, but .0014 drain is NOT a short. So, what else could it be?

Ron (dorunron)

7. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had it tested at autozone and they said it tested good. Is there a way for it to test good but be not enough voltage to work properly?

8. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    optma battery currently showing 13.09 resting voltage... seems like there is a fuse or relay that is keeping the charge from the battery... Ideas anyone?

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is that after sitting overnight? Or what? Also, how are you checking the voltage? Digital Meter? Software? What and where. At the posts? Jump Post?

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Check the ground cable of the 12V cable connections. Including the ground cable connection to the body. Also check the 12V battery voltage with multimeter when Prius is at ready.

11. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Charged the battery today before reinstalling to 13.05v
    At ready, voltage showed a range of 13.9-14.15 and honestly constantly showed that throughout a 30 min drive today. resting voltage ended up being 13.02 after the drive, I am assuming thats normal. I have checked the negative terminal as well as the body connection for the negative cable.. I did not see any corrosion but it is such a small point should I grease it? I know this is seeming all normal but after getting stuck then buying a battery then getting stuck again I AM PARANOID lol!!

12. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 13.09 was an hour after charging, it was tested at the terminals with a digital multi meter.

13. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like i miss read it was 13.09 right after charge... 13.05 after the settling and 13.02 after the drive.. sorry for the confusion..

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like its charging and maintaining a charge to me.

valde3 likes this.
  15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Would it be possible to read it after the Prius has set overnight?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, you can try acton toyota in littleton, they have a good rep. i have never had to make a repair.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep your digital multimeter in the car. When the warning lights come back on again, leave the Prius READY and measure voltage across the 12V battery and also at the dedicated jumpstart terminal in the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter,

If you find the voltage is still ~13.8V at that time, then the next step is for you to get Mini VCI so you can retrieve the DTC logged by the skid control ECU. Then you'll need to carry your laptop and Mini VCI in the car so that the following time the warning lights appear, you can immediately plug in to retrieve the fault codes.

valde3 likes this.
  18. coastiegunner

coastiegunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just did.. shows 12.84

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Everything sounds normal to me. Overnight measurement and measurements when running. Not sure what is going on. Sorry, can't seem to help on this one.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, at some point, after spending enough time running down the whole "maybe my ABS, traction and stability lights are telling me nothing but my battery's bad", maybe it becomes reasonable to ask if they could be telling exactly what the engineers put them there to tell, and better-late-than-never read the ABS, traction and stability trouble codes so that it would be possible to start on fixing the car.

But maybe I'm jumping the gun and there are still more battery tests people want to recommend.

-Chap