1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Overheating light/ loss in power/ heater not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brittney McMullin, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Brittney McMullin

Brittney McMullin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 prius with over 90k miles on it. Ran flawlessly up until I was moving from AZ to CO. I was 2 hours outside of my old home in AZ on my way to my new place in CO, stopped to take a nap because it was past midnight, I was pregnant, and had been moving all day. Woke up and turned my car on and got back on the road when the red master warning light came on, with the red overheating symbol on the LCD and a beep. The car also felt like it was accelerating weird. I Pulled over again checked my coolant and oil and everything was ok, with only $40 in my pocket to get to CO and my fiance almost 100 miles ahead of me I had to continue the rest of the 500 miles regardless. The first thing I noticed on the freeway was If my engine had no battery I had a hard time accelerating and even on cruise control my car could not keep up to speed. It was a long drive, the master warning light was intermittent and about 3am noticed my heater didn't work and I have a check engine light. After I arrived to my new home and got some sleep I took it to auto zone and had the codes read for my check engine light. They were P0117, P1116, and P1121 which all point to something in the cooling system. So what problem would cause an overheating light, loss in power, and no heater. I would take it to Toyota but my warranty I bought with them was sadly expired at 90k and I would prefer to try the DIY option as much as possible.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. DTC P0117 means that the engine ECU thinks the temperature in the cylinder head reached 140 degrees C (normal operating temp is 82 degrees C). That is a sign of severe overheating and if this actually happened, your engine probably is destroyed. (An alternative explanation is that the wiring harness to the temperature sensor shorted, but that seems unlikely given the circumstances.)

2. Check the coolant level in the radiator. You have to remove the large black plastic panel over the radiator for access to the radiator cap. I believe you will find the level is low. If the fluid level is very low, you probably have caused permanent damage to the engine.

3. Assuming the coolant is low, at this point you would need to determine why the coolant level is low, fix the problem (probably a leaking engine coolant pump, look for coolant stains on the inside of the coolant pump pulley and on the air conditioner compressor below the pump) , refill the coolant, get all air out of the engine coolant system, and see how the power train performs.

4. #3 is not a minor activity if you don't have prior experience working on auto coolant systems. I've posted on how to do this with the Prius which is more complex compared to a typical vehicle because of the engine coolant heat recovery system which also needs to be purged of air.

5. If the coolant system has air in it, that might explain P1121 which means that the engine coolant flow control valve has failed. and would also explain why the cabin heater is not functioning.

6. DTC P1116 means a problem with the temperature sensor at the coolant heat recovery system canister. That might be caused by a general overheating issue.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is likely killed by neglect. When the car tells you to stop driving, you do so and fix it. You made your choice, I don't think it was a good one.

4. taylor_priusII

taylor_priusII New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agreed. My diagnosis: woman driver.

5. Brittney McMullin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank You very much for the help. Your definitely right about the radiator coolant, there was very little; I am not denying permanent engine damage. We put coolant in and once it is day time I will check for leaks and have my fiance read into doing step #3. I can only hope the power train will perform a little better after that. As this is our family car for the next 3 and a half years. I appreciate your information and please let me know if there is anything else.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A cheap shot and totally unhelpful comment.

dorunron likes this.
  7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your two posts seem to contradict each other. Did you really check the coolant on the road?

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Obviously you need to find the leak and fix the cooling system first up. Look for signs of dried pink coolant (usually a pink crusty residue) where the pulley wheel attaches to the water pump (behind the fan belt). That's a very common place to get leakage.

You've definitely overheated the engine quite badly, and no doubt some amount of damage has been done. If you're really lucky you just added about 100 to 200 thousand miles worth of wear on it and nothing else. But there may be more damage than that, for example a blown head gasket is not unlikely. Keep an eye on the oil an make sure it's not getting "milky". Similarly with the coolant once you get that fixed, make sure you're not getting any oil in the coolant. If you see either of those things then it will be a blown head gasket.

dorunron likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP probably looked at the radiator overflow container, saw there was coolant within, and assumed that coolant level was not an issue. (That was a reasonable assumption to make, by the way, if you are not familiar with the Prius.)

Unfortunately if the Prius develops an engine coolant leak where air can enter the system, it is possible that the coolant level in the radiator will drop without sucking fluid out of the overflow container. Hence if an overheating warning is seen, it is necessary to check coolant level in the radiator.

It is too late now, but the OP had the option to stop her car either at the side of the road or no later than after reaching the nearest small town so she would not be alone in the summer heat, call her fiancé who was less than 100 miles ahead, and ask him to turn around to pick her up and help.

Here is my post about how to replace the engine coolant pump. Within that post is a link to my other post about how to replace engine coolant. Perhaps that will be of help to the OP:
    How to replace engine coolant pump and thermostat | PriusChat

dorunron likes this.
  10. Brittney McMullin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct I checked the overflow container not the radiator. Upon filling it and burping the engine the lights have not come on again and power has returned *so far*. Its a hot day today so it feels like the heater is working but its hard to tell for sure. Checked the oil and it is not milky, no oil in coolant or liquids coming out of the tail pipe *yet*. Fiance says he could not find crusting from a leak, but I want to have it looked over by someone else when we have the money in a couple weeks. No denying there has to be a leak given what you said about the overflow container. Also because I had the car looked over 2 days before my trip while it was having the tires changed and I would hope the mechanic would have checked my radiator coolant when he told me all my fluids were ok.

I will be getting the parts and replacing the engine coolant pump soon enough, luckily we work from home so there isn't much reason to drive till next paycheck. Thank you again I will keep you posted.

On a side note I'm not going to argue why I made my decision with people over the internet. I'm sure there was something I could have done that I didn't. BUT given this happened at 12am and It was just my 8 month pregnant self with my 18 month old sleeping in the back seat, again $40 which was just enough gas money to get to CO. My fiance was 100 ahead of me with our roommate in a moving truck (3 seats). We were also trying to beat the clock to get to the new property management office to get the keys before they closed for the weekend. If not we would have been stuck with a truck full of things that was due back Sunday and nowhere to put them. I'm sure its agreeable that moving is very expensive and we all drained our savings and some to make the move not expecting this to happen. It was Murphys Law, but I'm still not denying there probably was something I could have done that I didn't think of in the moment. First thing that comes to mind is check my actual radiator....

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply, at this point we can only hope that your engine will perform satisfactorily for you.

If you should find the cabin heater is still not working, that is a clue you still have air in the engine coolant system. If you hear air bubbling around in the cabin heater core that is further evidence that air is in the system.

In that case, make the Prius READY, leave the gear selector in P, set the cabin temp control to MAX HEAT, turn the fan on to the fastest speed, and floor the accelerator pedal to rev up the engine as fast as it will spin so that the coolant will circulate. Do this for ~10 minutes or until you can feel the cabin heater is working correctly.

Check the radiator fluid after the engine has cooled down and replenish as needed. Continue to check the fluid daily before the car is first driven. Maintain the practice of daily checks until you find the fluid level in the radiator remains at the very top of the neck, before you declare victory.

12. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The woman driver shot is an asshat thing to say. Hope you like living alone and keep that subscription to Vaseline going.