1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius P0810 and red triangle 191K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 1fixitman, May 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

I have a Red triangle and code P0810 and P0420. Before I get into this I want you to know that I have always done all the maintenance to this vehicle. Oil synthetic every 5K. .Transmission fluid every 60K. Coolant has been changed one time. Traction battery was new in summer of 2017. I have tools and have lots of experience working on cars. Have any of you had this issue? I need to read with a better computer but the A/C stopped working when this code set. I was driving short distances with the a/c on low and stopping 5 minutes at each stop. Dan anyone help give any insight? Google says clutch sensor but prius is not a manual transmission. I can talk to someone on the phone if you send me a message. Thank you. I do not have a job now and I hope it does not cost much. Please Advise.

#1 1fixitman, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you using tech stream to read the codes?

3. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

I have a scangauge II but it is raining out and I have the Enhanced version of Autoengunity so I can read at the sensor level if I need to. I do not have a garage and it is pouring.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please send it this way :)

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know for certain that a P0810 is actually a legitimate Prius Code. Your code reader is likely accurate with the P0420 since that is a catalytic converter efficiency code and isn't anything special. Did any other lights come on (dash or the video display)? That could indicate it is something with the hybrid system (like an inverter over temp, which would cause the AC to turn off) but those are special Toyota codes and not all readers speak that language, resulting in incorrect codes being displayed.

If you click on my user name, it will show you my information, including my phone number. I'm in Columbia, SC and I'm sure I can help you out. More than you may imagine....

I'm thinking you may have a P0A93 code, which is most often due to the inverter cooling water pump failing, but it's all guess work until the codes are accurately read.

#5 TMR-JWAP, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    amos, SFO and Frontporch like this.
  6. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

I have changed the downstream O2 sensor with one I purchased years ago and was in storage for a while. Bosch brand. Coolant was flowing thru the inverter fill cap area so the pump is pumping. It is possible that it is pumping slow but the flow looks like it did in previous flow checks for maintenance checks I performed. I cleared all codes and has been running well for two days now. I will post more if there are other issues. Thank you all for replying and the input. I am very happy to have almost 200K miles. About 8500 to go.