1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Rebuild or Replace Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LibraryMom, Jul 2, 2018.

1. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last September, we bought a used 2005 Prius with about 208,000 miles on it. We were told the battery pack cells had been checked by the owner and the bad ones replace. Last month it showed the red triangle and the check engine light so we took it in to a mechanic and he checked the codes. P3000 followed by P0A80. Before we took it in, we added oil as it was really low. He cleared the codes and we hoped that the low oil had caused a problem that was now resolved. The light and triangle came back about a week later. We have noticed the last few weeks that the battery pack doesn't hold a charge well. It rarely goes to full and jumps quickly and falls quickly. I drove it a longer distance two days ago and the battery quit doing anything (ran down to empty and didn't recharge) after about 45 minutes. The car still seemed to function fine at about 30 mpg. After I stopped for about 15 minutes and restarted the battery charged/recharged for another 45 minutes and then quit again. We had a local battery company test the 12V and they told us it seems to be fine. So we pulled out the battery pack to test cells. All read about 8.2 except for #21 that reads 6.8. It seems from other comments that we really should just replace the entire pack because I don't think we want the hassle of balancing this pack even if we do find a matching module. And I don't want to do this again in 6 months. Suggestions?

LibraryMom, 8 minutes ago

2. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The guy at E Learn Aid has a pack from a wreck that he claims should get another 60,000 miles, gen 3 but refitted for the gen 2 pack for $600 plus shipping. It's tempting. But can he be trusted?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no saying how long a battery will last. 60000 is just a figure.

If he is giving you all original modules from a gen3 battery, it's not too bad of a deal. Gen 3 started in 2010, so potentially this would be a 8 year old battery.

You should ask him what year gen 3 battery is it and if it's all original.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have experienced all of the issues stated in the initial post over the years. Low oil level is very typical for gen 2. Need to monitor oil level often, probably at least once a week or even more frequent. If oil level keeps on dropping, then engine rebuild/replace will be necessary to fix the issue. This also implies that catalytic converter with its associated two gaskets and two sensors probably will need replacement in the near future. Also, it is best to install a brand new HV battery pack from Toyota. Otherwise, the car probably will have HV battery issues on the regular basis.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles/years would you like to keep the car?

6. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We were hoping to get at least 5 years out of it so a longer term fix than swapping out a single module seems ideal.

GrGramps likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then you should have a Toyota dealer install a new traction battery.

Also if you are serious about keeping this car in operation long term, you should not allow the engine oil level to drop so low. Check the oil level every other time you refuel so you can assess the oil consumption rate.

8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are a early bird Pat. Happy July 4th.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First, you purchased a car with a failing battery. Fortunately the previous owner was upfront in telling you that the battery was no good and was failing. (He said he had replaced a section.)
    It was only a matter of time until the next section failed and it sounds like you got more than a few months. Great.

If you want to keep the car and it needs to be reliable, then your best option is going to be a new battery.
    A new Toyota battery is likely to cost $2,500-$3,500 installed from a dealer.
    You can save money by buying it from the parts department desk and installing it yourself. There will be a $1,350 core fee.

Any other option is going to be a total crap shoot.
    All other options are going to be USED batteries. How long will a USED battery last? It is anyone's guess.
    Maybe you'll be lucky (like you were with the failing battery that was in your Prius) and it will last a while.
    But no way, will it ever or can it ever last as long as a NEW battery.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Andyprius1 and jerrymildred like this.
  10. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When it comes to $ the truth is burdensome. However, when you save $ AND come up with a better idea.
    How rewarding.
    The main problem most people have is, go to work, fix the car too.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Putting thousands of dollars into a 2005 car with 208000 miles is very foolish if you cannot mostly DIY.

208000 miles is end of life for most cars which is fine if your a guy who likes working on cars. The engine is probably toast because it was run low on oil so new battery and engine, Bet the trans oil was never changed either.

12. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about the $1600 battery from the PC member - named @2k1Toaster ?
    If the engine and transmission can be inspected and determined to be not at end of life, installing above battery should be a good option...

His website is NewPriusBatteries

Hare Krishna!

Andyprius1 likes this.
  13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like he is selling brand new Bats. But, what about the engine? there’s no excuse for low oil, and what does low oil mean, nothing on dipstick? Coolant levels, Inverter?

johnjohnchu and edthefox5 like this.
  14. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found someone a few hours from us that is selling a "new in box" battery that they bought 3 weeks ago and then decided to use one from a friend instead. They are asking 1500. I'm inclined to go for it if it checks out. Suggestions on what to look for to determine it's genuine? I don't know how willing the seller will be to open up the battery and check serial numbers, but that seems the only way to know for sure that they're not just trying to sell me a cleaned up case with old modules inside. Is there a number on the outside I could try and verify?

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    new in box... what...?
    A Toyota NEW battery?
    A USED junkyard battery?
    A USED battery from Dorman?
    A USED battery from a random rebuilder?

There is a serial number on the case.
    There are serial number on the interior modules.
    I would want to see the receipt.

Post pics of what you are given and we can go from there.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Librarymom.....

Ask the person to provide you with a serial number from on of the modules inside the case. The 4th digit of the serial number will tell you what year it was manufactured.

Q=2015
    R=2016
    S=2017
    T=2018

You should be able to see a serial number just by looking in one of the ends. If not, the case top is only held in place by 6? bolts. If he's not willing to pop the top for $1500, then I'd be a bit leery.

many, if not all of the newer modules have the serial number located partially underneath one of the steel clamp bars. If that is the case, that's an easy way to recognize it as a pretty recent pack.

17. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The seller said she would try and get me pics of serial numbers, receipt, etc. She lives about 2.5 hours away so I'm trying to get as much info as I can to see if it's worth the drive. I would, of course, verify the pictures when I got there. Thanks for your help on the date coding in the number.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this a Craigslist deal? How did you find this seller?

Listen you really know nothing about this or any other battery so your ripe for the picking When it seems like a really really good deal its usually not.

Lots and lots of cons going on now with a G2 battery.

New in box? Lets see the receipt?

19. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She said she bought it new from a Toyota dealership in Sacramento and paid $2000 then bought a different one from a friend. She said it's still sitting in the dealer's box.

Attached Files:

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what that battery goes to but its not a G2 Prius.

The correct and updated part number for a G2 Hybrid battery is G9510-47031. Plus the case looks beat up.

Raytheeagle likes this.