1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Rebuild or Replace Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LibraryMom, Jul 2, 2018.

1. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to be careful and skeptical. It is a bit odd to me that she would buy a new one and then buy (probably a used one) from a friend instead of putting in the new one she just bought.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its neither new or belongs in your car. Move along.

3. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I agree, it doesn't look like a new case.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep...be careful lots of nefarious people out there. A brand new toyota battery has a brand new case. Looks brand new lol.

Where did you find this one from?

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The J in the serial number on the case designates it as a 2006 case. Case serial number letters are 2 years behind modules. "J" on a module is 2008 and "J" on a case is 2006. That doesn't necessarily mean the internals are 2006, but it does mean it probably was not from a Toyo dealer..well...I would say definitely since NEW ones don't have the electronics portion of the battery installed already. This one obviously does. I build many of these cases with 2015/2016 modules. The 47110 case IS a Gen 2. Also forgot to mention the first digit of the case # is an "H", which designates Prius.

#25 TMR-JWAP, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    fotomoto likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Be very careful on this CL "deal" as several things just don't make sense/cents.

Possible scam scenario: con artist buys a new pack, takes out new modules and sells those as a kit, puts old but still working modules back into the new case and sells it again. When those old modules fail, the con artist has been long gone.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The seller could be honest and using the term "new" erroneously. We see that so much here, "I just bought a new battery for it" or "I bought a used prius but the previous owner put a new battery in it" yet they are speaking about rebuilt's that are "new to them".

8. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Facebook marketplace listing.

9. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for you quick identification skills!

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The seller seems like they are selling the old battery from their car. If it's shipped from a dealer, the case would have lots of additional high voltage stickers on it.

You can ask for the serial numbers of the modules, but they'll be from 2006

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You don't get a warranty with this battery either.

Engine using oil and a bad battery, time to get another car.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Before we go all doom and gloom on this, lets find out a serial number. There are certainly businesses out there that build gen 2 batteries with new modules. Although I don't remember the name right now, I know guys have recommended one of them many times because they ship to the 48 states and cover return shipping. Anything is possible. It's all guessing until we get some numbers. If it's still in the box then there should be some identifiers on the exterior. maybe that can help ID the source.

Just remembered ...I think that place was called Hometown Hybrids

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are a few places that do what you mentioned but I don't understand how they get new modules to build?

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Although I don't have the answer, I can provide a scenario.

Joe Rebuilder builds up a supply of bad modules. He can use then to assemble a core battery. He has some connections at the local Toyo parts desk. Maybe he's even a Toyo mechanic working batteries on the side. He buys a NEW battery, (any model he wants or whatever is available since he can build whatever core is needed), turns in his core. Certainly he gets a good deal on the price, turns around and sells it (or one that he builds with the new modules) for 2k. And then he gets the customer's old battery. Clears a few hundred on the new battery and uses the old battery to do more rebuilds. Rinse and repeat to get rid of old bad modules as needed.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only scenario that makes sense is the modules would be gen1. But let's see what happens in this case. There's more scammers doing this stuff than legit people making an honest living.

The red flag in this sale is the "I ordered new and then installed a different battery". New batteries are more expensive and need a core charge. Why get a different one after you've invested so much and then turn around and sell it for a discount

#35 JC91006, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  16. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you sell those cases online or would I have to drive to SC? :)

Actually, there are some promising hybrid shops about 1.5 hours away in Salt Lake City. Priuskings has a shop there and Lancer Automotive. I'll call them in the morning and see what my options are.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The current plan is to buy a new one from the dealer and install it ourselves. We seriously considered getting a set of 2013 83,000 miles 3rd gen modules from a donor car refitted for 2nd gen pack from Bernie at e Learn Aid for $1000, but decided that a new one at $1950 (plus tax) would give us the best performance for the longest amount of time. Are new batteries for the 2nd gen cars as good as 3rd gen modules?

If other parts of the car give out before the battery dies and we decide not to continue to repair it, the aftermarket for batteries seems to be good enough that we wouldn't be out too much and in the meantime we'll have fresh batteries. I called some junkyards that were asking $1200 for batteries that were 9 years old.

Any advice on repackaging the core? I'd like to go ahead and separate the core from the electronics on the end so that we can turn in the core when we order the new one and avoid a core charge. It seems like once we've disconnected the current core, we wouldn't have those connections to refer back to anyway, just the pictures, so we may as well do it beforehand. Thoughts?

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the $1000 2013 battery is not a bad option. Gives you about 5 years for $1000.

Remember your car has a ton of miles and 13 years old. Another 5 years would be 18 years and gazillion more miles.

And this option won't require you to sell the battery to recoup, just walk away

19. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's not a bad option. Choosing between 2 good options is hard. And to add a 3rd one to the mix, 2k1Toaster's NewPriusBatteries hold a lot of appeal for me as well.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I asked her to open the case, she said her uncle could help her, but would charge me $200 for his time. I decided to end the conversation. I was curious to see what was inside, but not for $200. The listing has been pulled from the marketplace.