1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Rebuild or Replace Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LibraryMom, Jul 2, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes the "clamping" rods hold everything together. Once separated from the case base, it's actually pretty effortless.

Remember to stand the battery vertically, so you don't have to lift the pack up when separating it. Just peel away.

Note: you have to remove the vent tube plastic fitting so it can stand vertically

Raytheeagle and LibraryMom like this.
  2. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to clarify for anyone reading this thread for help. As far as I can tell, the posts that sit at the four bottom corners of the battery module rack don't come out. In order to use the compression rack to get the cells in tight, you have to remove the whole rack from the case.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are only 2 10mm nuts holding the pack in place. 1 on each opposite corner. 2 corners have nothing on them, just used as alignment bolts

4. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That explains why only two of the posts had nuts on them. My husband took the top off the case and I thought maybe he had already removed them. I'm glad you clarified that or we would have spent time looking later.

Also, other than some modules having a slight bulge, it doesn't matter what order they go back in, as long as positive and negative alternate, correct? I did mark positive and negative on the compression rack before removing the old cells so I shouldn't have a problem starting the same as the original pack.

I've read that it's a good time to check the battery cooling fan system. How clean should it be? It was a bit dirty so I wiped the blades with a Q-tip and it's definitely cleaner, but not spotless.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There shouldn't be a slight bulge to any of the modules, unless they are hot right out of a car. I guess once you clamp them, it shouldn't really matter much. Here's the orientation of the first module next to the ECU.

The little dirt on the fan won't hurt, just as long as there's no obstruction or hair. 20180613_081305.jpeg

6. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They all look really good. Raytheeagle had mentioned the ones that used to be on the end might not be as flat. I haven't noticed anything obvious. Do the nuts need to go back on the same corners? Or just opposite OK (upper right and lower left)?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ray is a little more OCD about perfection and attention to detail.

The nuts can only go in those 2 spots, those other 2 spots are blocked by the module end caps, can't put a nut on

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant to write down which modules had the clips on them for the temperature sensors, but I didn't and now I'm not sure. I'm thinking 1, 10, 15, 20, and 26 does sound about right?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are only 3 temperature sensors, and maybe a clip or 2 extra to hold the wires tight.

1st module, middle, last module. That's all you need to do on the 3 sensors. Pick and choose which one you want. The sensors only go 1 direction, be sure the make note of the notch on the modules where the sensor wires would rest.

LibraryMom and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Along with the info from JC9, if you put one of the sensors on the module furthest from the ECU (one of the original locations), be careful when putting the battery back into the car. Most people hold the battery by placing their fingers into that gap under the modules. I've seen many times where that sensor get broken due to someone hitting it with their fingers as they get positioned to lift it or move it.

LibraryMom and JC91006 like this.
  11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please be sure you use an INCH-POUND torque wrench to properly tighten the battery post nuts as well as the High Voltage relay connections. DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH OR DRILL. This is not a place to "guess" what "feels about tight enough". Do it right, otherwise you will regret it later.

Over tightening can lead to stripped or broken posts. Undertightening can lead to arcing damage or fire.

You saved quite a bit of money doing this job yourself. It is a worthwhile investment to buy or rent the torque wrench.

#91 ericbecky, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    padroo likes this.
  12. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So this may be a stupid question, but when I neared the end of putting all the under screws through the bottom of the case and into the modules (so much easier when already compressed!), I discovered I was missing a screw. :( Are replacements hard to get? Do I really need one? The cells all seem pretty tight as it is. I will definitely keep looking, but knowing my options will help me not get stressed about it.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're missing a couple from UNDER the case, it should be ok. No worries, there's enough there to hold everything in place

14. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just one and it is under the case. I didn't know if the screws helped to ground each cell or something. Thanks.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sometimes when I help people fix their batteries, they could be missing half those screws.

If you're missing 1, just leave it out of the middle of the pack

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I guess I could be called worse;).

The 06 pack @SFO and I rebuilt experienced some end modules that expanded and we tried the module shuffle only to find the modules did not align completely :(.

But we took it apart and replaced the bad module and it was all good:).

Thankfully we numbered all the modules before disassembly(y).

SFO likes this.
  17. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery is back together and we're ready to put it back in and cross our fingers. Any tips for getting the battery back in without my husband injuring his back? It seems like I saw one video in which the battery was slid down a couple of 2x4s angled from the trunk opening. Is that a helpful approach or do you recommend something else?

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2 people carry out into the car and rest it on the spare tire, with ECU on the left drivers side.

Then your husband goes into the car, standing directly over it and picks up the battery and positions it into place. His back will only ache a little bit if done this way

19. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We reconnected the battery, turned on the car and all the error messages were gone. Wahoo! We reconnected the cooling system and bolted the battery down and took it for a spin. All seems well. It's being driven on the interstate for about 1.5 hours tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic that we might have actually managed to do this right.

SFO, Petrodollar, Raytheeagle and 2 others like this.
  20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please report back every 6 months with how your used battery cells work out for you.

Too often people come on the forum. Get lots of free advice and then disappear. An easy way to help out the community is to take 5 minutes a couple times a year to pop in and give a status update.

I hope you will consider giving back to the community in this way.

#100 ericbecky, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    kerbear54, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.