1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Rebuild or Replace Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LibraryMom, Jul 2, 2018.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kind of late for this but I saw a video where they used an engine hoist often referred to as a "cherry picker" to remove and install a battery. I have one and have never lifted an engine with it yet. :)
    Once you hurt your back doing extended lifts you think twice, I do.

2. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I plan on it. I couldn't have done this without the help I got here and I'm just so pleased it worked. I hope the thread itself helps someone else with their questions.

It went about 150 miles today and no error codes. I'm feeling like we could go ahead and put the back end back together or should we wait a week or so? Since we used a set of donor cells rather than just swap out the single bad cell, and apparently everything was connected correctly, we should be good.

3. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The initial straight up lift to get it out and over far enough to the trunk edge for two people to carry it was difficult (his back was sore for a few days) so we wanted to approach the reinstall more carefully. We carried it to the car and put it on the spare tire together, each holding a short end. Then I climbed in the back seat/trunk area and helped lift on the long sides and held connections back. It worked fairly well.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Doing a whole set at once was better than just doing one module.
    Hopefully it was lower-mile, as opposed to being out of a taxicab or something like that.
    Thanks for committing to checking back once in a while.

5. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The new-to-us pack has been in for 5 months now and we've driven another 3000 miles or so and I'm happy to report that all is well.

fotomoto likes this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for checking in.

Please continue to do so periodically as time allows.

7. LibraryMom

LibraryMom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We drove it with that battery until July 2022 when it started to have engine problems (not maintaining compression) possibly related to a deer collision. We drove it about 30,000 miles with the donor battery.

fotomoto likes this.