1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius totaled by insurance - what should I do with it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MandeeJayne, May 31, 2015.

1. MandeeJayne

MandeeJayne New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in an accident where I was hit from the side on the rear passenger wheel well. It's messed up the rear axle, and the insurance is totaling it. If I surrender it to them, I will get $1200 more back, but I feel like it's worth more than that for the parts. I contacted my local Prius dealer, a small, honest, one-person dealership who specializes in only Priuses, and fixes them as well. He says he'd give $1500. The battery alone is almost worth that much! What should I do?

Here is a picture. It still drives but is a bit wobbly, due to the rear axle. Everything else is in pretty good condition, normal wear and tear. 150k miles. A/C evaporator unit has a leak, but I just replaced the blower motor myself. (so it blows air now, but only stays cold for a month or two before having to add more freon). The ABS Actuator Assembly was also just replaced 2 months ago. That was expensive, and sucks that the car is totaled now. That's really it, everything else is in good shape. It's got smart key and JBL audio and I do not know if any of that matters much.

What would you do? Would you try to sell some parts on Ebay to get the most out of it (despite not being the most handy and it'll be a huge learning curve to get most of the parts out or even just identifying them lol) or just sell it to the dealer guy? I will not be getting enough back from the insurance to attempt to get it fixed on my own and continue driving it. I will have to find a new car and a new loan, or buy a junker outright for less than 2k. Which will make me cry to not be able to drive a Prius anymore. I have been in my rental now for a month, and I so miss driving my Prius :(

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      112 KB
      Views:
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it orig hybrid batt? or new one?
    I suppose the used batt is worth something to batt reclaimers, but I do not know.
    Take out the spare tire and give it to a Prius Plug_in owner maybe if it fits

I'd give it to the Toyota guy for $1500 unless there is a higher bidder and maybe he can swing a 2007-08 replacement for you?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you contacted TampaPrius.com....he's reading this lol

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hardly.

Take the $1500 and run

5. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take the 1500.00 along with what the insurance gives you and be done with it , be sure
    To have a doctor check your back and neck , whip lash some times takes a while to show up

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    you live in the same area I do there is a complete rear axle on craigs list for $150 and replace the rim if needed...2008 Toyota Prius Rear Axle Complete for under $700 parts and labor you can have the car back on the road.he might take less he has had it for sale for a long time

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take the 15.

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will join the herd and say take the 1500.

I was in an accident some 20 years or so ago in a Corolla, a much simpler car than the Prius, and it sounds like much the same damage. Insurance totaled the car, gave me some amount of cash and I kept the car. I repaired it myself with help from an uncle who was a retired professional mechanic (he owned his own garage) and while I THINK we did a good job, the car never felt really safe or as if it was totally fixed -- this despite the fact that I drove it for another 12 years with no problems.

Technically, you are in violation of the law in many states in the USA if you "part out" your car -- a license of some sort is almost always required, and while I have never heard of anyone cited for this...

Finally, I would contend that parting out the car sounds like a good deal, but I would imagine it would be a massive headache. Much worse than selling a used car yourself.

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ok im out voted 99 to 1...take the money but if you part it out I can use the lcd screen and key fob

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much is your time worth?

If you're unemployed or underemployed you can tinker with parting the car out, but $1500 seems to be the going rate.
    Keep the car and let the insurance company keep the $1200.
    Spend an hour or two seeing if you can get a better deal than the $1500 than the dealer is offering, but keep your day job.

If it's me?
    I'm taking the $1500.

Good Luck.

theshark likes this.
  11. MandeeJayne

MandeeJayne New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the feedback! Seems like the consensus is to sell it to the dealer. I was assuming but I just wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing.

Stevewoods, I never heard of it being illegal to part out the car. But it would definitely be a massive headache anyway, you're right.

12. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you look into the Craigslist rear axle? I don't see what the problem is with changing it out. Another thing you want to look into is the procedure to put it back on the road.

Avi

13. beachbaby902

beachbaby902 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is it possible to total it, take the money to fix it and resell and make a profit? If not i'd take the $1500 and buy a new Prius.

14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I suggested that too but was out voted 99 to 1
    repair and inspection is all you need for a rebuilt title in florida then drive it away

15. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make that 99 to 2 ;-)

16. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thank you for your support :cool:

17. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How much time do you have to invest in either parting out the car or repair it your self?
    Take parting out the car, parts will need to be stripped out. Do you have the time? Parts take space to store. Parts will sit on the shelf for months even years before a buy comes along. After you part out the car completely, is the total return worth the time and space?
    Take repair, do you have the time to do the repairs yourself? Everyone has an uncle who has an auto repair shop but he needs to make a living too. Will the repair done to factory specs? It may look OK but is it safe to drive? After you've done the repairs, it can only be registered as salvage title. That alone will make the car worth less than 3/4. If you sell it after repair, will the profit cover the time and money you've spent repairing it? I don't want you to take either route and 10 months later say I should have taken the 1500 dollars and ran