1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Transmission or Water Pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jendby, May 22, 2023.

1. Jendby

Jendby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I just inherited my mom's 2005 prius and when I was driving it on the freeway the other day the lights came on --the triangle Exclamation point light, the "Check engine" light, and the car with the line through it (Hybrid problems/? ).

It has been feeling like when I accelerate it revs instead of having power, but I cant seem to get any local mechanics to feel that.

I took it to the dealer an hour away and they said they "Found a code for the water pump".
    The dash lights had all gone off while it sat overnight and even on the hour drive to the dealer they did not come back on.

I'm not sure whether to allow them to fix the water pump or to bring it home and wait and see. (They will charge me $155 just for the diagnosis!)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a chance the inverter water pump is bad, it's common for this to fail on the Prius. Unfortunately dealers charge really high labor rates to replace this part. $700+ now.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With your car sitting there open the hood open the little reservoir right next to the big silver thing on the driver side of the car to the left of that is a jug that holds coolant It's usually red or pink this feeds your inverter pump which cools that silver inverter that says hybrid system on the silver lid If you open the lid on that reservoir is the reservoir full to the line on said jug If you open the door and ready the car get out and look at the jug you should see some water moving in the jug like something's moving it a pump You should also hear that pump it'll be down near the driver side headlight You can reach your hand down there and touch it and it'll be vibrating if it's running If it's not it's probably bad usually this is the company by the little car that's usually green in the left of that 7-in display will usually turn red and then other lights will come on on the dash and if you look in the fuse box and check the AM2 fuse maybe it's blown If it is usually the inverter pump is gone bad blown the AM2 fuse turn the red car on the MFD 7-in display red and other lights may come on the dash. Usually the slipping when you step on the gas and you get revs but no forward movement that usually is the hybrid battery causing that problem You're hybrid battery could be going bad with age along with the inverter pump failing this is highly likely and possible.

Jendby likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While you still can, see if you can contact them and tell you what code they got. That is much more important for us to know than anything a guy said the code was "for".

Jendby likes this.
  5. Jendby

Jendby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I am an hour away from my car so its complicated since its already at the dealer.
    Is the Inverter pump the same as the water pump?

6. Jendby

Jendby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    He says its PO893 and the "Inverter Cooling system"

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably means P0A93 (that's a zero after the P, not letter O).

P0A93 is a code for the inverter cooling system. It has an electric pump of its own (separate from the engine water pump). The pump for the inverter cooling system is kinda behind the left headlight.

The code can also be caused by a cooling fan problem. Or by a clog in the coolant passages. A lot of the time, it's the pump. They wear out.

If somebody has a scan tool that reads INF codes, if I remember right, P0A93 has a couple different INF codes that would point to different areas for the problem.

8. Jendby

Jendby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    LE

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's quite often the pump, so not a bad guess, playing the odds. A mechanic worth the salt would have checked. It's pretty easy to check for the pump running (look at all the threads you can search up here with: pump turbulence).