1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius w bad hybrid cell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aryiana, Apr 13, 2009.

1. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The HV battery was the one concern I had before I bought my Prius. I stopped worrying after checking ebay, I would get a used battery.

Regards,
    Dave

2. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sorry, but someone whining that a manufacturer of a product won't give them thousands of dollars of parts even tho they're well out of warranty amuses me.

The warranty is 8 years OR 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. If your car were 12 years old and had less than 100,000 miles, do you think they'd warrant it then??

Suck it up and pick up a used battery unit offa Ebay. I'd be thankful that there are enough Prius that have made it to salvage yards to provide parts. For ~$600 and maybe a couple hours of wrench turning, I'd replace the darn thing myself.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    go on ebay and get a cell.
    you can buy cells not the compleet pack if you dont want to
    will set you back just a few bucks

make sure you by a charger for it and charge it to the same voltage as your OEM pack is and then replace it.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know why you feel the OP is covered to 150K miles. Their car wasn't bought and registered in a CARB state. Their HV battery warranty expired >50K miles earlier.

A 2% inaccuracy is pretty high and again to me is moot. The OP's HV battery warranty is long gone. In http://www.caranddriver.com/layout/...509601/version/1/file/Speedometer+Scandal.pdf (came from Speedometer Scandal! - Feature / Features/Classic Cars / High Performance / Hot Lists / Reviews / Car and Driver - Car And Driver), Toyota's average odometer variance was 0.7% from sample size of 19.

The OP should get the DTCs, possibly get another opinion and if the HV battery pack is bad should really look into a salvage pack or someone who can replace the bad cells.

5. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I bought a used Prius with failed battery cheap, got a salvage battery fitted it everything looks like it should work but scanguage shows no dtc's to reset and I still have the main batt on display and warning triangle. What could I be missing

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What you are missing is that ScanGauge will not display all DTC produced by the many Prius ECUs. If you are lucky, it will display DTC produced by the engine ECU. Since you see the battery icon appear in the MFD then the battery ECU (and maybe the hybrid vehicle ECU) is producing DTC.

Did you disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal for a few minutes to allow the ECUs to reset? If so then maybe your salvage battery also has a problem. Time to tow your car to the dealer so that the DTC can be retrieved.
    I'd be more worried about the transaxle failing since that is not so easy for a DIYer to replace.

1 person likes this.
  7. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does Toyota reconstructs the failed battery module?

8. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus

It's OK sorry, I had the HV dongle not all the way home, all working now:)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The have a program set up, in Japan, where they will refurbish old batteries including age and voltage matching replacement cells. This is something done under specifically controlled conditions with the ability to test each cell.

I do not think it is something that shade-tree mechanics should be doing (with rare exceptions Hobbit/Patrick & Doug)

10. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Are the toyota dealers the only people whop can retrieve the other dtc's? Darn I was hoping I could see everything with the scanguage, I have never played with hybrids before, can't you tell?

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There is one reasonable cost OBD2 tool that can access the Toyota specific information:

AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics

You need the basic unit plus the Toyota specific add-on (~$700 including the Asian package) and either a laptop PC (Windows) or a PDA.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  12. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone can order the official Toyota scan tool, but it's costly. It's a Panasonic Toughbook notebook/tablet PC with a couple of extra interface modules, custom software, and a two-year subscription to the Toyota TIS site (techinfo.toyota.com). Costs $7,995.

Independents that service a lot of Toyotas might well benefit from buying one, but for DIYers it's a leetle expensive.

You can read Art's Automotive's opinion on OE scanners.

13. saechaka

saechaka Member

Actually, 2% is not high and it seems quite a bit of prius chatters here have the same reading. Anyways, I should've read more carefully. How about just getting the Hymotion pack. I'm at 158,000 miles and if my battery ever fails, I'm borrowing a family members car and getting myself on the list for the hymotion pack.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good lord, did he have to replace the motor, transmission, both axles, etc? Not sure how that level of expense on an older vehicle is worth it, unless the vehicle is a highly sought after collectible car

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Although it appears you resolved this issue, keep in mind that generic scantools cannot access specific ecu's and/or dtc's

Eg a generic scantool cannot be used to command a Prius to start the brake bleeding procedure.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bet the guy at Art's just about had a stroke when that new ToughBook sailed off the docking station onto the hard cement floor.

Depending on manufacturer, some aftermarket scantools provide all the features the dealership tool does. Eg the OTC Genisys will interface to GM Corp vehicles just fine

17. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes I did consider that, but for $6k I felt it was worth the risk. The research I did told me the transaxle had a very good chance of going a long time. And yes, I am crazy enough to replace the transaxle myself. I'd call Peter if I needed help!

Regards,
    Dave

18. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The failure rate you reference to to is usually the "Warranty Failure Rate", that means the failure rate within the warranty period.
    When the warranty period is expired the failure rate will rise drastically to 50%, like in your case.

Buying a Prius for high mileage usage is not a good idea to save money, because the warranty will expire so much sooner and the battery replace cost will wipe out your fuel saving. You should have sold or trade in the Prius before 150K.

This is a perfect example that the cost of ownership should include the battery replacement cost if you expecting to keep it past 150K miles.

19. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Thanks I got around the DTC's by shorting the two pins in the socket for the scanguage, it worked on other cars so I tryed and got lucky.:rolleyes:

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Care to provide the source of your data?