1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius - Which services should I get?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by biglew8, Mar 14, 2017.

1. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello everyone! I just purchased a used 2005 Prius a few weeks ago with about 169,900 miles on it. I'm preparing to take in my Prius for an oil change and trying to see what else I should get done. It just hit about 170,250 miles. Below is what has been done according to Toyota owner records:

1/31/09: 45,894 miles: New O2 sensor

1/26/11: 82,294 miles: Replaced drive belt
    due to rotted drive belt, 90L pedal mod, and A0N replace HV electric LSC.

1/30/15: 143,333 miles: Replaced front brake pads and rotors. Flushed engine coolant, drained and filled inverter coolant. Replaced drive belt. Replaced spark plugs.

2/25/15: 144,235 miles: Replaced plug cyclinder 1 due to misfire.

5/22/15: 147,400 miles: New set of tires and alignment.

7/24/15: 149,879 miles: Replaced right front wheel bearing due to excessive noise.

2/22/17: 169,950 miles: Replaced 12V battery.

Of course oil changes were done every 5000 miles/6 months by previous owner. Based on the above work done, what should I get next? Thank you for the help! I'm loving my Prius!

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it had its 150,000 mile service at 143,333 miles and a few things since then. You're roughly 30,000 miles from that service. Typical 30,000 mile interval service is oil change, rotate tires, change engine air & cabin air filters, and check fluids, connections, etc. You can also drain & fill the transaxle fluid if you want, but if the car has gone 170,000 miles without that being changed, it's probably not a big deal.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's a little odd that only one spark plug has been changed in recorded history. There should have been a new set at 120K miles. If you get new plugs, get the PCV valve changed, too. Of course, someone may have done that DIY, not showing up on Carfax.

Get the brake fluid flushed at the dealership or a hybrid-specific mechanic.

Pay very close attention to the engine oil level between changes, like at least every other gas fill-up. These cars are known to start consuming oil after 150K miles.

Pay attention to fan noise from the right side of the back seat--you'll see a vent there. If that fan blows often, it's an early sign of hybrid battery problems. Don't be alarmed, you're probably fine--just something to be aware of, like the oil consumption.

It was a little late for the coolant changes at 150K miles (again, may have been DIY). Those should have happened at 100K, then 50K intervals after that. It wouldn't hurt to do those again in the next year or so, since some old coolant remains during the draining.

Enjoy the car, and welcome to the forum.

4. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for the tips and recommendations. I just checked the online service records from Toyota and from the 1/30/15 143,333 miles service it shows "
    REPLACED SPARK PLUGS ~|~REPLACE SPARK PLUGS ~|~ ~|~143333 REPLACED SPARK PLUG 888" I assume all of them were replaced at that time but I got confused by the last part saying "Replaced spark plug." A month later after this service, a spark plug was replaced due to check engine light and they found water in tube and spark plug was corroded.

5. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I don't like to buy anything on eBay that I can find someplace else. I doubt it makes much of a difference what brand air filters you use as long as they're compatible with the car.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially with the engine filter, I would just visit the Toyota dealership parts department. Not worth the gamble.

I'd second changing the brake fluid. Toyota USA is still mum on the subject? Toyota Canada says tri-yearly or 48,000 km's (30K miles). Honda, fwiw, says tri-yearly regardless of mileage. For decades. I'd approach DIY brake fluid change with caution. I've done our 3rd gen, it is possible without Techstream, and outlined in the Repair Manual. And @NutzAboutBolts has a video on it. But 2nd gen may have some variations.

Transaxle fluid: yeah change it, long overdue. Use Toyota ATF WS fluid, 4 quarts or liters is more than enough. There are fill and drain bolts. Coles Notes version: remove fill bolt, remove drain bolt, install drain bolt, and with the car level, add the fluid to fill hole till it starts coming out. Install fill bolt.

8. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll purchase both filters from local dealership since they have a 20% coupon for the air filters. Thank you for your help!

9. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am also considering getting the mass airflow sensor cleaned as a preventative measure. I know some members on this forum mainly go by what the Toyota maintenance schedule says. I do not see anything regarding MAF cleaning on the maintenance schedule.

10. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, MAF and careful throttle body cleaning would be a good idea.

11. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So far what I am planning on getting done at dealership:

1. Oil change
    2. Drain & refill transaxle fluid
    3. MAF cleaning

What I will do on my own:

1. Engine air filter
    2. Cabin air filter

Thank you all of the help everyone! I plan on driving my Prius for a long time. This forum is awesome!

12. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just got a quote from a local Toyota dealership:

Transaxle fluid drain & refill - $125.00
    Mass air flow sensor cleaning - $45.00
    Brake flush - $137.00
    Throttle body cleaning - $79.00

Do these prices seem fair? I believe all of the prices are with tax included.

13. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That doesn't sound too awful. It's a bit of a shock to a DIYer, but not larcenous. Of those, the brake flush is the only thing they really should do, requiring specialized tools and/or knowledge. The transaxle service is $40+ for the oil and it's little more work than an oil change. TB and MAF cleaning is a half hour with an alcohol-soaked cloth and a $10 can of cleaner.