1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius won’t start, after installing new charging system/inverter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JeanetteB, Mar 12, 2019.

1. JeanetteB

JeanetteB New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, please help!

I have an 05 Prius, replaced the hv battery and recently the 12v battery. HV battery went out and replaced again last spring (under warranty thank goodness). Also have replaced inverter pump previous fall. I began to have trouble again this winter, all the dash lights on, red triangle of death, etc., but not the VCS. I noticed the symptoms were not the same as when the Hv battery went out though. It died on me in my way to class one night, which lead to me replacing the 12v battery. Dash lights cleared, for a time.
    Died again last week, and I got a jump from a girlfriend. After researching those symptoms we decided it was the charging system and just replaced it, I found info here and what was happening reminded me of an alternator in a regular car. I determined it wasn’t the Hv battery, since I was able to jump the car.
    After installing the new (refurbished) charging system, we now cannot get the car to start. Car turns on, but gas engine won’t start, won’t go into “ready”, power button light stays orange, not green, and I have to put the car into neutral to turn it off. I have had my 12v tested again, and it was good. I’ve had it on the charger, and recharged it.
    I suppose now I look at the fuses? I’m unsure of what to do next. Please help! I’ve only got one more year of grad school before I can replace my car, I’m not sure what to do from here...

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who completed the work, and is there a warranty?

Many here (and some mechanics) like to use an OBD2 code reader to pull DTCs (codes) from the vehicles 'computer' when there is a problem. Having the proper DTC (code) can help with diagnosing and or fixing the issue(s).

Is it possible for you to locate or borrow a hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner ? (try autozone, pepboys, advanced auto parts, etc)

A proper OBD2 scanner setup for a Toyota would include a mini-vci cable and a copy of techstream. Some get by with only using a OBD2 blue tooth adapter and one of the various phone apps.

#2 SFO, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you properly reinstall the orange safety plug?

Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    X2 on this. First thing that popped into my mind, especially if you removed the HV battery safety disconnect to work on the inverter.

Also, as a side note, there have been instances of 12v batteries draining overnight due to the brake emergency capacitor bank having a capacitor going bad. This is the small black box next to the 12v battery. If your 12v is losing charge overnight, it would be best to determine the source of the drain prior to replacing items. An inverter replacement isn't exactly a small job.... The charging system can be easily verified to be working just by measuring voltage on the 12v system while in 'ready'. It should be around 13.7-14.00 (I may be off a point or two on those numbers)

Skibob likes this.