1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Graz, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Everyone,

I came home late on Saturday Night and went to bed. I tried to take the Prius oout on Sunday and it would not start. I jumped it to get the rear hatch to open. Once I trickle charged the 12 v battery, I was able to get displays. it said I was out of gas, and that my mileage had only dropped to about 43 MPH. There was nearly a tank full of gas on Saturday night. Sunday it was flashing EMPTY. I put 2 gallons in. I was able to get it started. But the Triangle with the Exclamation Point is still lit on the dash.

1. Did I leave the car ON over night?

2. Would it use nearly 10 gallons of fuel?

3. Do you think I can get it started enough to get it to a gas station to fill it. Then get it to the dealer to check out the computers?

How bad did I screw up. I have 165K miles on it, and I love it.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are probably not out of gas. When the 12v battery drains, it has to reset the car's computers when it's charged again. When the gas meter starts flashing, it just means it has not detected the fuel level yet.

Try making sure the 12v battery is indeed good, if not getting a good reading, replace it. Then just start the car. Let the fuel level redetect itself.

3. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank You Sir!

4. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had some issues finding another yellow top locally. But once I replaced it. I am good as gold. And I have a full tank.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.