1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Radiator filler neck - scam?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Improviz, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Improviz

Improviz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We took our 2005 to the dealer for the 75,000 service. They replaced the 12v, and while doing a warranty replacement of coolant pump, discovered the "filler neck" was leaking. We were told that, while the filler neck is available as a separate part, the O RING that is leaking, is not. Apparently we have to do an $1100 radiator replacement, because we can't replace an 89-cent O RING??

This is either a scam by the dealer, or the worst design I've ever heard of. Toyota will be getting a letter from me about this one! If anyone knows about this, please post!!

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like an absolute scam to me. There is no way I would let the dealer do this. Take it to Luscious Garage or somewhere else.

Can you take a picture of the said oring? If so, you could probably buy a universal oring kit that has that size in it.

richard schumacher likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you can access the O-Ring yourself, I would remove the O-Ring, and take it to a auto parts supply store. Ask them to match it up with the O-Ring's they have in stock. I would also mention that the O-Ring needs to be suitable to be used in high heat (less than 400 Degrees Farenheit) and be compatible with antifreeze. I honestly don't see why you could not replace the item on your own if you can access it.

It seems that the dealers have gotten away from repairing things, they only want to replace assemblies. It is a shame that things have come down to this, but it is a sign of the times.

Good luck to you.

Ron

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the most extreme I have read about yet. Definitely, you have the best independent garages there, so that is the way to proceed if you aren't a DIY. It sounds pretty trivial.

5. tnp

tnp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another prius chat user was able to replace the plastic filler for $30, Leak by coolant filler pipe - 2005 | PriusChat