1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 red triangle unless maf unplugged then check engine only

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mech1222, May 5, 2022.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it like "grand canyon" cracked?

2. mech1222

mech1222 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    enough to let air in that the maf wasnt sensing, replaced with used and she is fixed.

new intake manifold fixed it, old original maf being used.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome, glad to hear it!

Gotta be really careful about that. Yes, your chances are better than with the marketplace vendors but still not that great.

Amazon isn't doing very much to defend their own brand- at most they'll give you a refund. That's after you waste a few days struggling with garbage.

I love their service and convenience for everything else, but I've stopped buying auto stuff from them. Just too many counterfeits.

Congrats on getting your ride going again!

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it possible you could post a photo as a reference for where to look if we ever run into a similar problem?

5. mech1222

mech1222 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes, of the cracked manifold? i believe it was something that did not happen spontaneously, i.e. it would not happen to another prius... it had human help...or bear lol but we dont see much bear in socal, someone stood on top of engine/manifold/throttle body area best guess.

and unfortunately i think i can vouch for amazon as the maf being good oem denso etc., the compressors i have gotten are also oem denso, still working...from bought from and shipped by amazon, have to have the double amazon under the price, and even then like you said...fake still possible at anytime gotta love it...

torqued throttle body and intake manifold bolts to 14 lb ft for reference, working fine...
    reused old metal gaskets, you can reuse metal gaskets pretty much everytime...obviously there are exceptions to the rule but...

6. mech1222

mech1222 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you live in so cal there are a few pick your own parts places that have good prices...and then you know your getting o.e. second maf cost me like $43 and if you want theyll charge extra for a 90 day warranty. lkq pick a part
    '

7. mech1222

mech1222 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    also fixed the battery on this car, 1 bad cell, load tested at 10 amps to find it /techstream. then had a low hv battery code after replacing cell, due to the block harness. ohm testing harness out of battery revealed 3-4 of the ring terminals were either broken or cracked and had to much resistance/no connection. i fixed this by soldering the ring terminals back together, and soldering across the cracked unbroken ones. you need to be an avid solderer at least to attempt this and remove harness completely/do not do it live. as well as unplug, remove and disable battery in every way...yes the ring terminal fix is very robust the way i did it...

and have never gotten counterfeit from rockauto, just cant get it next day...amazon slime prime...and amazon is sometime cheaper than rockauto, like $60-80 cheaper on 2 things past week, real powerstop brakes and moog suspension links for 3rd gen prius. again, refresh daily or multiple times daily to see price change or put in cart...

or amazon is same price as rockauto on heavy items that would cost $40-60 to ship, but free shipping so you save $40-60, brakes usually...

roll any coal lately leadfoot?