1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 roof crushed - repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KCobby, Feb 15, 2017.

1. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi everyone.

So the last ice/wind storm here in the Northeast did a number on my beloved 2005. A big branch or two came crashing down onto the roof and windshield and hood doing some serious damage - windshield needs total replacement, and roof is pretty dented in. The adjuster is coming this morning to take a look, but I wondering if anyone here has repaired a crushed or dented roof? If possible, I'd like to keep it and repair it, but I'm just not sure what kind of cost it will be and whether it'd be worth it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just surprised you have full coverage on a 12 year old car. It'll be totalled.

3. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I know but I just really love my car. We've been through a lot (including bringing home my daughter) and there's really nothing that's gone wrong outside of normal wear and tear.

I was guessing it will be totalled too. But I guess I'm just wondering if it would be too costly to repair? Probably silly - I should just sell the parts and find a new one, I suppose.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the insurance company totals the car, it'll become their possession to auction off. But you'll probably have the option to buy it back for a few hundred bucks

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear of your bad luck! …sounds like your poor Prius had a close encounter of the gravitational kind with Jeremy Clarkson's ego! Usually a bent/flattened roof indicates a compromised frame, but you might be able to buy the car as a write-off from the insurance company, and have a lifetime supply of bits! I would do that and look around for a good Gen II as a replacement! I have a 2009 Gen II which I love! Good luck, and keep us posted! ;)

6. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So the adjuster just left and here are the particulars: they did total the car. The valuation of the car was $3900, the damage estimate was $3800. They will give me that if they pick up the car for salvage. If I decide to keep it, they will deduct about $1000 for salvage (in addition to my deductible of $250.)

Thoughts on those options? Thanks guys. I'm definitely bummed.

SnT08Prius likes this.
  7. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Expect actual damage cost to be higher if you want to go through with full repairs. There will always be stuff the adjuster did not find in the first pass. That, combined with reduced payout, would lead me to take the money and say goodbye. I did that with my '05 after a rear-end collision and, yeah, it was sad.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $1000 to buy back is high, I would think that's about what auction would get

9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Full coverage has covered my nice person when I got ran off the road by some drunk driver back in July. Did 4k damage to the underside of the car.

OP: Time for a convertible conversion? Or maybe even topless?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The savings from not having the full coverage would be close to the repair cost?

11. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The way people drive nowadays I would be scared to be without full coverage. After my accident, I found out that the drunk driver didn't have insurance after all. Thankfully I wasn't hurt in any way.