1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Spark Plug replacement.......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TMR-JWAP, Feb 18, 2019.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So, the wife and I were out of town this weekend and we get home late Sunday evening. Son got out of work around 11 pm and messages me that his (recently new to him) 2005 is having serious problems. Engine shaking really bad, check engine light flashing on and off, won't get over 40 mpg....and it's been acting stupid for over a week. Current mpg at 36 with ~270 miles on that tank. (why do kids never mention this stuff before it becomes a major issue?)

He got to the house and I hopped in with the laptop and 'techstreamed' it. P0301. Cylinder 1 misfire. Freeze frame data, oddly enough, shows 0 misfires on all 4 cylinders, but a total misfire count of 84. Makes sense to me, right?

Luckily, due to having 3 Gen 2's in the household, I keep two sets of new plugs ready to go. His car is at 199k miles right now, I believe it had around 194 when we got it back in August/September 2018. I would imagine these plugs are the second set ever installed in the car. The plug from #1 is actually missing the small (disk)piece that should be attached on the ground prong. Gap on that plug was 1.8 mm. You can clearly see how the ground prong is worn away. All the others, even though they look like crap, were still ~1mm. New plugs installed and all problems cleared up. Took for a 17 mile drive and registered 47+ mpg. Hope it stays that way...

All Plugs.JPG Plug 1.JPG

jerrymildred and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You didn't look at those plugs when you got the car? I would've change them out early just because it would be a 1 time deal, get the car to over 300k miles+.

But yeah, your son really should be more vocal about these problems. I'm afraid I'll be in that boat soon with my 15 year old....yikes

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Probably original plugs.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was in my original plan, as I ordered some Toyota ATF WS and coolant right after purchasing it. I had a goal of spending a Saturday refreshing the car, but my schedule and his didn't work out initially and then it fell by the wayside as life issues reared their ugly head. That stuff is still in a box in the garage. Sounds like I need to make it happen.

5. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just went through the same thing. Lent my car to my daughter... then, I go on vacation and return. My car is back but my wife’s Prius is gone. No note, no nothing. Apart from not finding the key I gave her to drive my car I go out and find at starting, a check engine light. I run a scan and get indeterminate missing. I bought the car new; it’s an 06 Prius with 138,000 miles. The car has never been to the dealer after purchase. I replaced the 12 volt battery 3 times and put front brake pads on it at 100,000 miles. I replaced the hybrid battery last summer with a Toyota new battery and changed a failed inverter pump and coolant in both the inverter and engine. I replace the trans fluid every 30,000 miles and change oil every 5000 miles. Air filter I’ve changed 4 times. It’s never had a tune up.

I decided, given the code, to clean both the throttle body and MAF sensors, install a new air filter, and put in new plugs and finally to throw a can of Techron injector cleaner. One spark plug had a broken insulator on the firing side all the way down to the threads. It was just completely gone on one side. I gaped the new plugs but they were already perfect and installed a new PCV and buttoned her up. She runs perfectly now with no check engine light.

I never could find my second key my daughter said she returned and just went ahead and ordered a new one off amazon. I did the chicken dance today and the key is working perfectly with sks. This Prius is by far the very best car I have ever had. It requires almost nothing and just keeps running. I dove it 12 miles every day back and fourth to UC Berkeley where I worked for 36 years in engineering and recently retired. If this Prius blew up in a day from now, I would buy a new Prius in a heartbeat.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great testament to Prius durability!

BTW, gapping is not only not required with iridium plugs, it can damage the plug. They come pre-set. I think it says somewhere to not try to change the gap.

Skibob and Mendel Leisk like this.