1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Toyota Prius-Rebuilding hybrid battery having issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Javamon31, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Javamon31

Javamon31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought a used 2005 Prius about 2 years ago. Always wanted one. Last summer the hybrid battery went out. Got the red triangle, lost power, whole nine yards. So I bought a multimeter, took apart the inside, and identified the cells causing the issue. They ranged in V from 5-6.5. I averaged the voltage for all good cells and bought cells on Ebay that were close to that average voltage (7.5). Replaced the bad cells and re-installed the traction battery. Sparks flew. The red triangle light up and another cell had gone bad. Found which it was and replaced it with a new cell. Re-installed only to have sparks fly again and the red triangle light up. As of yet, have not replaced the new cell. Has anyone had similar issues? Is there something else the matter? The V on new cells was very close to the average for the whole system. Not sure what to do.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There should be no sparks when you are rebuilding that battery. Where are the sparks coming from?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My question would be "sparks? What sparks?" Any sparks would be molto serioso (IMNSHO) - but you've come to the best place for information and help (much needed, by the looks of it!)

Edit: BTW, Welcome to PriusChat, and you might find a search for "Prolong Grid Balance Charging" to be useful...

#3 WilDavis, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
    Javamon31 likes this.
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The prudent thing to do would have been to replace ALL the cells with new ones.
    And that is STILL the prudent thing to do.

Actually at this point, I think you need a qualified shop finish the job.......just incase the sparks indicate that you fired something ELSE besides just battery cells. That means having them install a completely rebuilt battery and write off what you spent already to experience.

5. Javamon31

Javamon31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The sparks come from certain cells when I've replaced the traction battery after replacing bad cells and try starting the car. It hasn't been the replaced cells so far. Those that spark end up being bad too. Beforehand, these sparked cells had registered within a good voltage range.

Thanks for your response. Not willing to pay the mechanic's fee.

#5 Javamon31, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there are sparks, there could be a fire. If you're not willing to pay a mechanic fee and you don't know how to sort this out yourself, then you are just asking for trouble.

7. Javamon31

Javamon31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your response. The sparks are never significant and never constant. They stop after a single arc. I'm quite comfortable working with these voltages and the sparks. To be clear, I'm not asking for advice on whether to go to a mechanic or not. Thanks again for your input.

#7 Javamon31, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sparks flew = single arc?

Make sure you tighten the connections to 47in pounds. If you have loose connections, you could possibly get sparks (I think)

9. Javamon31

Javamon31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would loose nuts cause the cell to short out?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Loose nuts will cause unstable voltage readings and will heat up the modules. This can cause them to heat up and explode/leak. You would need to do a complete rebuild of the battery pack, what you are doing with a multi meter and ebay is just buying you a little time.

At a minimum, you would need to do the following::

1. Load test all the modules to make sure they are good, OCV with a multi meter doesn't tell you anything.
    2. Charge/Discharge and balance all the modules
    3. Clean the corrosion of all the copper bus bars
    4. Tighten and clean all connections.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Additionally check the cell orientations.
    Any chance they got mixed up?
    Make sure you have it alternating positive, negative, positive, negative,....

There should never be any sparks.

Buy a torque wrench and properly torque the fasteners.

12. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I also suggest proceeding very carefully. You not only have a shock hazard, there are flash hazards and chemical hazards as well. There is considerable chemical energy in the battery. Don proper PPE for these hazards, considering eyes and exposed skin, and flammability of clothing. Cotton is your friend here.

You have a few very experienced people issuing warnings here. Sparking should never happen, certainly not repeatedly, and it does sound like a very bad sign.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    this is the first i recall of anyone having sparks. please be careful, these batteries can be deadly!
    all the best.(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Javamon31

Javamon31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the response. Now mixing up module charges is something I would do. Fortunately I had the wherewithal to take pictures beforehand. Definitely not a positioning thing.

Sparks occur right before a new module fails. It's a minor arcing that is only observable by someone standing around back watching the traction battery while the Prius is engaged.

Checked the nuts. It's not a connection thing. Read off the codes. P0A94 and P0AA4. Reset the system. Not getting the red triangle but am getting all the check brake lights and the transmission.

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the hybrid battery secured to the car with at least one mounting bolt that is tightened down all the way?

16. Javamon31

Javamon31 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Currently no. It cant be that simple though can it?

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO. And just asking that question is further indication that you should NOT be doing this yourself.

So.....it appears that your only options at this point are:
    Continue to replace the bad cells one at a time.......and keep doing that for months on end until they all are replaced........OR one of them shorts out once it is back in the car and causes a fire.
    OR
    Replace ALL of the cells that you haven't done already and be done with it.

In the end, either of those options probably won't be that much more expensive than buying a completely rebuilt battery assembly that actually has some warranty.

18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery pack MUST BE FIRMLY BOLTED IN PLACE. ALWAYS!

I have seen plenty of problems pop up when the battery is not securely grounded.

Bolt it down and report back here.

trentofdestiny and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I apologize ahead of time if I sound rude. There are no circumstances that I can think of that a correctly assembled and installed HV battery would be arcing. An arc occurs and then another failed module? Can you post photos of the battery with the case cover removed? Terminal shields removed? Don't 't forget to remove safety disconnect first.

20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring