1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Trunk-lid handle loose!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spacemanta, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tonight I superglued it all back together. Didn't tighten the two center bolts much, as I want to give it another day to cure. On one of the bolt clips, there was some missing broken plastic that I was unable to find to glue back together. So I used some construction adhesive to fill it in and the reason why I want to wait another day for the cure time.

Fingers crossed that this fix works!

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just to be sure I understand, is this entire piece marked in red that got loose?
    [​IMG]

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes that's the hatch release handle, it was that loose in the center where 2 of the 4 bolts attach it to the hatch.

So far my superglue fix is holding.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well so much for my superglue fix, the hatch release handle broke again. I really don't want to spend $200-$300 for a used replacement part, but I see no other option now. Why did Toyota have to use a plastic handle that mounts to the metal hatch with metal bolts, instead of using all metal parts? Curse them!

NoSpam likes this.
  5. Dave J

Dave J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old post, but my release handle has broken also. I had a dead battery a couple of months ago and didn't know it, and in trying to open the trunk (first thing I was doing, putting something in the back), I tried a few times finally realizing there was no power, but in the man time broke something. I've lived with it, but this morning, half of the thing broke off entirely. It's time for duck tape so it doesn't fall off.

Question is, to me it looks like it is held together by plastic which has broken, so I'm assuming i have toreplace it, repairing is not an option.

If that assumption is correct, what the heck is this piece formally called? I searched for "Hatch Release Handle" and found a lot of complaints but nothing as a part.

Is there a formal name or part number or something that will at least get me searching to find one?

And if I do, is it something I can replace? I can deal with $250, but I think that $450 is a bit much. I have a couple other "real" maintenance things I need to do to the car as is.

Thanks!

Dave

6. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The part is called an "back door outside garnish subassembly" per the AllData DIY online service manual. You can Google the part description and Prius and find the part numbers and potential suppliers. I think that the part comes in colors to match your paint. You found out the hard way that the part is not intended to be used as a handle.

If you're having trouble opening the hatch, you might need new struts for the hatch. In my experience a bad strut is worse when the weather is cold.

Hope this helps.

7. Dave J

Dave J Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Robert--

Thanks for the response, yes absolutely helps. Right now it's broken on one side, so on the other side I have a few pieces of clear tape holding it, and it looks fine unless you look at it closely. Just opening it from the bottom of the trunk for now.

Appreciate the answer.

Dave