1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 vs 2006 audio aux in possibilities

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by castlecain, Dec 2, 2005.

1. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

Last night, while at Mark Jacobson Toyota in Durham NC where I purchased
    my 2005 package 4, I asked the parts man to pull the 2006 parts diagram and
    show me the aux input location (it's in the rear of the center console) and the
    cable and part number and how I might order it later and retrofit my 2005.

First of all, I know all about all the third party interfaces that let you use RDS
    data to control an XM Radio Tuner or Ipod using the mfd and steering wheel
    controls. I am not convinced they are being priced at what I should agree to pay
    YET.
    I am a tech and I realize that R&D has to be paid for but I only REALLY NEED an
    aux input for my XM Radio. Actually leaving my little Roady II in view all the time
    with the information on the screen is a good option for me. I would like to be able
    to use the MFD later, but not at the prices I see for the interfaces at this point in
    their development. Leaving the Roady II screen available at a glance has it's advantages.

So, I looked at the diagram and we looked at the connector (S30) part number 82824-21030 (may be plug only, no cable). It is a 4 pin plug that goes into the
    rear of the Radio. Now, I don't know, since I have never seen a real block
    diagram of my radio (Standard AM FM single CD player), if my radio has the
    same plug as this 2006 Prius has. I do believe the one we were looking at had the
    cd changer. But here is the question to some of you who may have looked at
    this problem more carefully:

I don't care about the MFD, I want at this time only to have an AUX input to
    my standard radio to take the output of my Roady II. I detest the modulator
    method I am currently using. Don't want to use a modulator in ANY fashion.

I want to find that connector S30, order it, and wire my aux input. It's just left/right audio and left/right ground.

BUT....how do I switch to it. Does the new 2006 radio have some additional
    switch on the panel to change to that new aux input in the console, or does
    the radio sense it some way, if a device is connected?
    Please, someone talk about this from a standpoint of having seen the new
    input ON THE CAR and having a little knowledge about the thing.
    I understand 2006 Prius models are now on the west coast being delivered.
    How about a knowledgeable salesman logging on here and going out to the lot
    and inputing his Ipod or something like a little CD player into that aux input
    and tell us how it is switched?
    Four contacts, left/right audio, left/right ground...that's all I need. Even if I
    can't find the plug, I can hard wire a the four pins and bring two rca females
    out for my Roady II. If needed, maybe some of us can get a schematic of
    the radio and wire a dtdp switch to change to the input. I would assume, if the Toyota engineers wanted to make this thing universal, they have added a sensing circuit to automatically switch to the aux input if something is connected....lets hope.

So it's simple...does the 2005 have the socket for the connector....and does it
    sense a connection?
    I was also told that Panasonic made the single cd am fm radio, information I
    think is in error, but can anyone confirm the manufacturer of the single cd
    am fm radio in the 2005 and 2006?

Thanks
    Rod, who is at this time only looking for a reasonable connection method without MFD involvement.
    2005 Tideland Pearl Package 4

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't think you will be able to just throw in an aux connector into a 2004/2205 radio. From the sounds of it, it seems there is a dedicated connector on the radio for the raw aux input. I doubt the changer port is being used, as that usually requires an intelligent device to remove itself from the audio circuit when it is not actively being used. A dumb jack would not be able to do this. I know for a fact that there is already a specialized connector that includes AVC (TX+/-) and the steering wheel controls.

I also have heard that Panasonic made the radio. I really have no reason to doubt that.

I would suggest spending some time on Techinfo and at least getting the wiring diagram for the radio system on the 2006. Also the diagnostic section for the audio might be useful too.

3. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

4. April15

April15 New Member

I have a 2005 Prius with the NAV Package and built-in CD changer. Do you know if I can remove the CD changer and use the CD port on the stereo system to install a third party system that will let me use the stereo controls to control an iPod? Do you know a good manufacturer of such a device?

I am NOT a tech but would like all the same to be able to use my new iPod in the car.

5. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

DanMan,
    I also posted under castlecain id on Priusonline.com the following information
    I gained from a link either on xmradio.com or crutchfield.com. I can't remember now which, but it concerned the XM1000D XM and TURK tuners paired with one of
    several adaptors specific to certain manufacturers like Panasonic , Pioneer, Alpine, and others. It seems to be an announcement of an intelligent adaptor, which
    according to the prices posted for the radio specific adaptors, may sell for under
    100.00. For finding these on the internet, they are red in colour and have the same flange mounting case as soome of the Coastal Tech video boxes.
    However, for anyone looking, here is the "news" release text:

From the Crutchfield website, TURK and XM:
    January 2006 Be on the lookout for our XM
    Direct RDS Smart Digital Adapter coming soon in early Q1 2006. RDS Stands for Radio Data Service which is a technology that allows information such as the FM Station ID, Artist and Song title, to be fed into vehicle stereos that support RDS. We have developed an RDS compatible SDA that will allow integration of our XMD1000 universal receiver to factory equipped OE and aftermarket car stereos which are RDS enabled.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if some tech connected with this company which
    manufactures these radio specific devices, would come on here....probably
    one of them owns a Prius....and tell us about this!

6. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't see how RDS would benefit what you all are trying to accomplish. RDS might be there to transmit to the radio the XM information to display on a standard radio that is RDS capable. However, you would still be using an FM transmitter. Only difference is, this FM transmitter includes RDS information to pass to the radio, not just stereo audio. I would believe RDS is on a 64K subcarrier which has a history of being used for all sorts of things, including a separate commercial free mono audio for store muzak. I believe this carrier is being used for SAP on TV.

8. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

DanMan,
    Thanks for looking at my post and commenting. However, I may have misled
    some in the purpose of my post about the SMART ADAPTOR. The adaptor, from what
    I understand, is an affordable INTERFACE, not FM modulator type, but a hard wired
    interface for specific radios. There have been several specific one's available for
    quite some time, but the new one, the new SMART adaptor, will probably ship
    with a specific interconnect to the radio, and it may LEARN the radio interconnect
    specifications. Therefore only one "Smart" adaptor need be manufactured, with
    the utilization of many specific cables and plugs for many radio's. You then order the SMART ADAPTOR, with a specific cable and plug for the Prius.
    Anyway, check these sites. I have since learned this is an AUDIOVOX device,
    and can be seen with complete press release and specifics here for use with the Terk or Audiovox
    or XM model XM1000D Tuner, which I have. The tuner, as I ordered it, has no head unit, it is designed to integrate with specific radios. I bought my tuner for 49.00 with a 50.00 rebate in anticipation of using it with my Prius when adaptors are more available. From the press release, it sounds like a direct connect device. I can
    also use an XM Commander head with this unit if it turns out I can't interface it
    directly to the radio with the new smart adaptor coming in 2006. I will then order a PAC device for it, and utilize it as a pure audio input, or I will order the VAIS unit to intergate it.
    The XM1000D is
    exactly the same tuner used in the complete XM Commander kit, less the head
    display. So, since I wasted no money in my purchase, I have just put it back and
    will wait a month or so for more information. I may buy one of the interface units
    such as the VAIS, but, I may not, or, I may just buy a PAC aux interface unit
    or one of the others and use my RoadyII. Again, these seem to be hard wired
    solutions, and sell for 50.00 or less.
    Check these sites:

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/audiovo...aptor.html#more

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...oductId=&brand=

And this page showes some of the older specific integration by Audiovox that has been on
    the market for awhile, does not show the SMART ADAPTOR which is not out yet,
    but will look the same as the red coloured ones:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UFSZUaktfR0/c...=FFService%7CXM

And lastly, here is a site which is selling the nomenclature "SMART ADAPTOR"
    now but as I read the press release, a new one is coming which will be a
    UNIVERSAL SMART ADAPTOR.

http://www.sell2all.com/Terk-Technologies-...l_id116184.aspx

WHEEEEW, this should be my last post on this subject.....certainly should be if I am wrong......applause.....?

Thanks
    Hope the information helps,
    Rod

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If it were direct connect, bypassing the FM tuner, there's no need to use RDS, as RDS is an FM tuner function. Since RDS was mentioned, I would have to assume it is an FM modulator, hopefully the inline kind.

10. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

DanMan,
    Sounds reasonable, but
    I looked closely at all the cables illustrated with all the current adaptors
    by Audiovox (what I can see in their particular resolution from
    those websites), and can see no rf cable connections in any of them.
    I was thinking they all connected to a port on a particular radio which
    sends and receives data. Since the devices are currently for XM Radio
    XM1000D,
    they must allow data to pass for channel and song to display.
    Remember, the XM1000D is a tuner only, no display.
    Look at the Alpine radio models specified in this particular adaptor.
    I see no RF connection, but instead a dedicated cable.

Here:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...14098&langId=-1

Again, I don't know
    if the OEM radio for Prius is going to work with it, but the press release
    certainly hints at many fits for auto manufacturers. I also don't understand from the press release how the xm radio will display but I assume it displays via a
    number of channel presets like the fm function on my Prius now displays.
    I.E., certain stations like 106.1 display the artist name and song title when the
    song starts playing. An example for WRDU is: RDU BEATLES COME TOGETHER displayed one word at a time. Perhaps it will be somewhat like what the VAIS unit allows
    in terms of 18 presets for xm. Perhaps the Smart Adaptor will also appear as
    SAT 1 or SAT 2. I will continue to try to research any information on the technical
    aspect of these adaptors, but I certainly wish someone with one of the current
    ones would come on this forum and discuss it from a technical standpoint, or
    even an engineer who is working with Audiovox. Smart Adaptors have been on
    the market for some time for Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine, and I think Panasonic. Some have said the standard radio in the Prius is a Panasonic, perhaps
    I should ask to see the interconnect. An email to Audiovox is in order, maybe they
    can point me to a website with the protocal.

Perhaps the Smart Adaptor in question delivers the data to one of the pins
    in the connector cable. When the UNIVERSAL SMART ADAPTOR emerges early next year, I will
    order one and try it out. and report back. I am in no particular hurry to order a higher priced solution at the moment.

My son just bought a new (2006) Honda Civic EX, a beautiful full featured car with
    30/40 mpg (not hybrid), and an excellent sound system with MP3 and an audio input jack.
    He has the option to order the full integration XM kit which adds the factory
    XM tuner and antenna. We were quoted nearly 500.00 without labor. WOW. OUCH! Of course we would do it ourselves, but we would never pay that kind of
    price for the equipment. The
    radio has a nice display on this car, (non navigation) and for CD,
    shows artist name,
    CD title and song title on the display (if the right kind of CD is inserted). I used
    DIXIE CHICKS "HOME" to test it. It works just like in my 2005 Prius
    showing text display.
    But the Civic shows no FM radio station, song, and title text. So it must not be what is called RDS.
    Howver, we are still looking for
    a better interface solution than the factory XM integrated soluction for
    his Civic. He can use a XM Roady II through that audio input for now, like owners
    of the 2006 Prius can. When we find out more about these adaptors in question,
    we both may buy them.

Rod

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Then RDS has no factor here. Again, RDS is an FM carrying technology.

12. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

DanMan,

Evidently you have yet to read the press release I posted the link to.
    It may be an FM carrying technology from terrestrial FM stations to the radio.
    But from the XM broadcast satellite to the XM tuner, using the RDS capable adaptor, as the press release states, seems possible to me. Sure, the carrier
    has the RDS data, but maybe they are talking about stripping that off from
    and XM radio signal. I don't know that for sure. The SMART ADAPTOR, is NOT a modulator device but a data connected device which connects
    (probably?) to the cd changer port. If it were a modulator device those
    radio specific cables viewable with the units would not be necessary.
    If it were not RDS capable using the RF signal from the satellite, why
    put that in the press release? These adaptors are ONLY for the XM1000D
    tuner.
    Anyway, I will comment again when I get the one advertized to be
    available soon, or when I find out who makes the darn radio in my Prius,
    and can find more data.
    Seems like too much effort is required to discover the manufacturer of the
    standard radio.
    Thanks,
    Rod

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Rod,

Who'd you talk to in parts? It's my understanding there aren't too many parts guys who are seriously up with the prius. Talk to any of the techs there? I happen to uh, know someone who works in service at that particular place. Not to reveal too much about my identity or anything. :)

My DH is looking at a schematic to add an iPod aux-in to our 05 and trying to exploit some of the upgrades they used on the 06. He hasn't had time to go through all the wiring diagrams though, they've been keeping him plenty busy.

You should come by our next Triangle Prius Club meeting, we could all sit down and discuss this thing. I could get DH to print off all the info he can get his hands on regarding the 06 stereo. We're looking at a meeting shortly after Christmas. Meeting updates at this address: http://trianglepriusclub.blogspot.com

Since all this tech stuff is personally way over my head, I just thought I'd chime in what i could.

14. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From reading the press release, I have to agree with DanMan. RDS is an FM radio technology used, umong other things, to show station name and what's currently playing. That adapter sounds like a glorified FM modulator. You connect their XM tuner, your car's antenna, and the antenna input on the radio to it, use a remote (maybe wireless?) to control the XM, and the RDS is used to display on the radio.

Cool idea, actually, although I would think a new head unit that's sat ready would be a better choice. (You'd connect their XM tuner, but you wouldn't need a seperate remote or funny RDS hacks. Also, the sound quality would be better.)

15. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

I met your husband the evening I talked with the parts guy. He was standing
    around a blue 2005 package 1 in the prep bay as we talked. I am very interested in the information you will be getting. I also am interested in seeing your seat covers.
    Your husband told me to watch for your posts on this resource.
    Rod

16. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

Thanks for the input. The Press release information has to be taken in conjunction with the current number (6 or so) of the SMART ADAPTORS. The current number of them do NOT use a modulator. My thinking is that the press release is talking about a new UNIVERSAL SMART ADAPTOR, and it would be backward technology
    to bring out such a modulated solution. I think they are talking about an adaptor which works much like the current 6 or so, but which has a universal software
    solution. Anyway, as I said I could he wrong, and certainly will not be buying
    a modulated solution. The XM1000D has two audio outputs, and a DIN plug,
    (I am looking at it at this time) or somthing like one, with 8 pins. You don't need
    8 pins for a modulator. You might however, need that many for full integration
    to the Smart Adaptor, and display on the OEM radio, which is the claim of the
    technology in the press release and on some sites selling the 6 current adaptors.
    Look at the pics at the links I posted as well as the
    press release, and thanks for the comments.
    Rod

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Likely not a glorified modulator. If it's using the CD changer control, and these head units have the capacity to display song title from the CD, then that info would have to be carried through a CD changer plug as well.

Hope that's helpful. - galaxee's DH

18. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

Yes, I saw the aux connector on the block diagram of the 2006 radio. The aux input on the 2006 console enters a 4 pin connector on the radio. The pins are left right audio and left right ground. They use an individual ground for each
    audio (left and right) instead of a single ground wire common to both
    left and right. Now, to switch it using the mode control, they may have a circuit which senses the
    input connected and adds it to the inputs available as you switch through.
    On my sons new 2006 Civic EX, the aux input connector does just that. When you first
    plug in the aux device, the radio immediately switches to the aux input. But then,
    as you leave it connected, you can still switch by mode from cd to am to fm to
    aux. If you remove the plug for the aux input, the mode switching (by button select) does not show the aux input when you press it. In other words, it senses if
    there is something there. How.....? don't know on the Civic, because I have not seen the schematic, so, it could be done with the input plug which opens or closes a contact when the plug is inserted, or it could change because a of a change in the loading of the circuit. On the Prius block diagram the
    wires did not indicate any contact switching of the female plug at the console.
    It simply looked like left right audio, left right ground. So, the radio probably senses the input.

Now, figuring this out gives us a way to input a clean signal from an Ipod or an
    XM radio like a Roady II or Delphi or Sirius with its own display. The other question in the air, is how to get the XM tuner XM1000D onto the head unit, as
    some of the Smart Adaptors from Audiovox do in some head units. Thats the
    difficult question. We can understand more about this when we identify the manufacturer of the non JBL system radio. Panasonic???

Rod
    [email protected]
    Roxboro, NC

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Guess it's time to get some 2006 updates from Techinfo. That would be wiring, audio diagnostics, audio repair, and I guess I have to find out where teh backup camera would be.

20. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading all the press releases, I have to agree with Dan. There are actually 2 different devices being discussed in those announcements. The one, a satellite tuner that can be integrated with satellite-capable head units, already exists. But, it looks like Audiovox will be developing a piggyback unit that will receive the song data from the receiver, and feed it on an FM carrier, with RDS, to any RDS-capable FM radio, undoubtedly injecting it into the antenna coax.
    As far as wiring info, it would help to know which radio you're talking about. the 2006 wiring diagrams have 2 units: one with an integrated amp, and one with a separate amplifier. One thing interesting is that the wiring from the AUX jack has an extra wire, a white one, labeled AUX1. I wonder what thats for??
    Also, I can't see on any of the radio diagrams where the CD audio connections are accessible, so I don't see how you could install an external CD/AUX switch, which would be nice and easy. The AUX inputs to the radio are on pins 10 (ground), 15 and 17. The extra line is pin #19. Even if your radio had those external pins, you would need a way to trigger the changeover.