1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 with 135,000 miles, still going strong.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sishoch, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Sishoch

Sishoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am the original owner. It got regular maintenance from the dealer until 90,000 miles. No major issues, all recalls done. Never replaced anything but 12 battery, tires and windshield wipers. Thought the front brakes were dragging but there is still plenty of material left. Axle boots are still good but strut boots are long gone.

I started driving it after it was parked for 4 years. Just got it painted and it is my only car. What should I expect to replace in the near future? Is the main battery still good after 17 years and how do I tell? No lights on the dash and it seems to drive just fine.

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Front brakes “dragging” meaning sticking?
    If so, common occurrence on hybrids, since brakes are not used much, take a look and see if caliper pistons are seized. Easy fix.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should expect a battery soon, but dang? still working after sitting 4 years? unheard of.

if you don't have any trouble lights, the battery is withing parameters. you could check the percent of life left with dr prius app if you want. it's not precise, but gives an idea.

i would make sure all the fluids have been changed according to the schedule time/miles, and everything else on the schedule.
    you might want to consider changing the tranny fluid.

4. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do a brake fluid change after all that time as well as fresh transmission fluid. Probably a cooling system flush and fill as well.
    I’d clean the maf sensor, it the tires don’t have any flat spots a couple cans of Techron through the fuel system and change the oil pretty soon, there is going to be some rust scrubbing off and you would want it out soon. if the big battery dies on you there are options to have it replaced for less than 2k.