1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 with ABS chatter and beep (brake/ABS light on) and seeming left front wheel buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RevRD, Apr 9, 2020.

1. RevRD

RevRD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The in-laws have returned the 2005 to us with the brake warning light on (possibly parking brake switch) and also the ABS light is on. From searching around here, it's the ABS box that's acting up.

In conjuction with that, the ABS chatters and partial brake pedal makes it hum and chatter and you can feel it in the pedal. Harder brake application stops all that. (all this when the car is stopped).

Another issue, likely unrelated, is that from 35 mph and up, there's a speed-related buzzing out of the driver-side (left) wheel/axle. It does it whether I'm on or off the brakes, or on/off the gas. It seems completely mechanical, but I'm no pro.

The two issues is that I have to get the car inspected (San Antonio, TX) this month and it won't pass with the ABS light on AND I really want to sell it as it's a second car, so I have to figure out if I fix it and sell it, or sell it as is - it has a recent traction battery and tires and new headlamps and otherwise runs great, but bad brakes is bad juju. :D

If anyone is local with an ODB II reader, maybe we can meet up?

If not, is this a working unit for Torque and reading and resetting codes?
    ebay /itm/OBD2-OBDII-Diagnostic-Scanner-Bluetooth-Scan-Tool-Compatible-with-Android-Phones/202862398098
    (I don't have enough posts to be allowed to post links yet)

It shows the ISO15765-4 protocol which to my understanding is what I need for the Prius.

My hope is to be able to reset the codes long enough to have it inspected, then I have time to work on the car.