1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 wont fill with gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Kleinwolterink, Jan 9, 2017.

1. David Kleinwolterink

David Kleinwolterink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    tried filling up this morn and the nozzel kept clicking off , and was air pressure coming back out ,did finally get2/3 tank
    What do you think ?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen2's are finicky to fill in winter, so we have to chalk it up to that unless you continue to see problems. Some say it is the bladder gas tank but I think back pressure (winter fuel butanes) might play a role.

3. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's Winter and time for the seasonal 2005/Gen2 gas pump ritual. My F-150 with the capless fuel filler had similiar issues.

I don't see much consistency, so it could be the winter gas blend on a given day. I usually fill at the same local station and sometimes the pump clicks off. Come back another day and the pump is fine. . . . Only Shell gas works all the time for me and worth the extra nickel or dime a gallon.

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have to stuff mine to get 10 gallons into it. Lots of slow pumping the last two gallons, but it fits.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) the bladder inside your tank is less flexible in cold weather. In MS, I was able to get fill 11 gallons in summer and 8 in winter, temps where you are will vary from MS. (this also effects how far you drive before the first pip goes dark)

2) try inverting the nozzle so the lever is more vertical rather than horizontal.

3) open the gas cap before paying, to let air pressure equalize.

I hope for the best!

Danny3xd likes this.
  6. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my first burp and spill yesterday. I should have been more patient and fill the last gallon slowly.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.