1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 12v battery fast drain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jpkc97, Mar 2, 2021.

1. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just picked up a 2006 Prius that the previous owner said would drain the 12v battery. I purchased a new AGM battery and installed. It started and ran fine, but after shutting down it drained the battery in about 4 hours. I recharged the battery and then hooked a multimeter to the neg terminals and was getting between 1.9-4 amps of current, which indicates a big short somewhere. I systematically pulled all fuses and relays in the fuse box and relay box under the hood and none made any change.
    Am I missing something obvious or is there something else that I can check?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try unplugging the brake power supply box next to the battery.

jpkc97 likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are fusible links in there feeding some big loads

Attached Files:

jpkc97 likes this.
  4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would suggest that it is not usually a big short but something that is on that should not be on. Often its aftermarket stereos, gps systems or security systems.

While there is little doubt your car has a parasitic draw, the fact that it is varying from 4 amps and 1.9 amps seems to indicate modules that are in different stages.

Also, when you disconnect a battery terminal it can take minutes or longer for all the ecus and modules to return to sleep mode.

Attached Files:

jpkc97 likes this.
  5. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update, I unplugged the brake power supply box and saw a big decrease in the load. So, I left it unplugged overnight and went out this morning to see my battery still at 12.71v !
    It's looking like that is the issue. I am going to pick up another box from the junkyard and see if it makes a difference.

6. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Good point, and thanks for replying! I started thinking later that since it's been disconnected awhile those caps probably need a bit to recharge before I can accurately test again. However as I just posted, the battery stayed charged all night when connected but the brake power supply disconnected. I'll post more updates as I learn more.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More like 20-30 minutes before they are all finally asleep. The normal quiesced current is 16-24 mA.

jpkc97 likes this.
  8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Which is the reason for the procedure in the diagram above.

jpkc97 likes this.
  9. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update, I bought a used brake power supply at the junk yard for $30 and installed. Next morning I still had 12.79v showing!
    It appears this was the main issue with battery drainage.
    Now on to other issues, like the combo meter display not working. It was working on and off when I got the car but now nothing.
    I was able to take the car out on the road and drive and it drove fine. The multi display showed it was charging the hybrid batt but I still have the little car icon with the "!" in it showing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the combo meter, see the sticky at the top of this forum.

For the "!", get a code reader which will work with this car and use it to see what the problem is. For more information search for "techstream", "Dr. Prius", and "Torque Pro".

11. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New update: Today I went out and started it up and drove a bit. Dash still isn't working but "check engine" light and ! icon are gone.
    Guess I'll try it again tomorrow and see what pops up. I ordered a new capacitor (as noted by others) to replace in the combo meter so will give that a try.
    Also, today the stereo won't work in FM. It works in AM but no sound in FM but shows on the multi display. I'm assuming it's the amp but will look at that later.
    The nav system kinda worked...kept freezing up so will have to play with that also.

12. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Latest update...I removed the combo meter and replaced that pesky capacitor that everyone mentions. Reassembled and it now works! However, fixing one thing seems to cause more issues. Before: No backup camera, no combo meter, cruise control not working.
    After: Combo meter works, Backup camera works, now beeps when in reverse as well as beeps when leave key inserted with door open.
    But, Now when I hit the climate button, it says "check air conditioner connection". Also, energy display no longer shows motor charging battery, or braking or anything...just shows the wheels turning. Red triangle of death is also displayed. Now what? starter battery is new and showed 14v today. Tried disconnecting both batteries for about an hour but same result.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who'd a thunk! I'm continually amused by such statements of amazement. It seems obvious that if you fix what is broke it then will work. Not really amazing.
    All that shows is your 12V battery is fairly discharged and the DC/DC converter is functioning and working very hard to get some charge into that battery. If you want to get a usable metric. measure the battery at the battery terminals or the front jump point after the car has been off overnight.
    Did you "check air conditioner connection"? I suspect something disconnected was not reconnected, or some connector was disturbed enough so now there is no connection. Check your work. Reading the codes might provide additional clues as to what is now broken.

14. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your comments. I checked the voltage at the jump point this morning and saw 12.45v. I guess I'll take the dash apart today and double check connections and fuses. I still don't understand why the hybrid batt was showing about 80% bars and the car was showing energy back and forth before I "fixed" the combo meter and now nothing...No battery charge showing and no regen. Also at some point I saw the "B" option on the transmission but now that's gone. When I shift down it just beeps unless I move the lever over into D.

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The MFD gets input from CM via the Gateway. Adds weight to the theory that something has not been reconnected or that something has become disconnected.

16. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    View attachment 206893 View attachment 206893
    Thanks for another reply! I felt like something had to be wrong so took out the MFD and found a loose wire on the harness that connects it. Gonna re-soldier and see what happens.

17. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that little wire was the problem. I soldered it back on and after reconnecting everything and powering up, I heard angels!
    All of the warning lights went away except the TPMS which I assume is due to dead sensors. I took it on my first drive today and averaged 41.4mpg over a 44 mile trip. The hybrid battery is playing nice and all systems worked. I treated it to a nice wash today and a fresh oil change with 5w30 Mobil 1 extended performance high mileage. My next plans are new spark plugs and tires, possibly brakes. Anything else I should look at? I already changed filters. All axle boots and suspension bushings look good. and it drives straight and quiet. It has a Dorman hybrid pack so I assume it was changed fairly recently.
    Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Attached Files:

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see where you say how many miles on this car, so unless you know for sure that this is an oil burner, I wouldn't start using high milage oil. If you are using oil, then trying a piston soak is something to try as it has some success in other oil burning threads.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah high mileage oil is something you want to start ONLY if you’ve got runaway consumption. It swells gaskets, and they can shrink with a vengeance if you go back to regular oil.

20. jpkc97

jpkc97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

More great responses...thank you!
    This car has 199k miles and unknown oil type/consumption so I was just playing it safe.

Mendel Leisk likes this.