1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Backup Camera? Not working?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yowoof, Apr 4, 2016.

1. yowoof

yowoof Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So I have a new/old 2006 Prius after number one son totalled the old/old Prius. About 140k on it. No history of wrecks. Good shape for it's age.

The old 2005 Prius (level 2) didn't have a backup camera. The new 2006 Prius, apparently also a level 2, SEEMS to have a camera - at least there's a little black box and lens, in the right place, on the rear near the license plate, which looks like a camera. Presumably with something behind the lens!

When selecting R to reverse, the MFD display changes from whatever it was displaying and presents a grey rectangle with red lettering at the base - with the normal ominous warning about stuff could be behind etc etc etc. But only a greyed out image is presented - no rear view image displayed.

From my limited research so far, I assume that this means that the control system is detecting the reversing condition, and switching the display to the feed from the camera. But no any video feed is being displayed.

The MFD is showing other abnormal conditions such as specific areas of the touch screen are not responding when pressed. But only a few, very specific areas, and not a big deal as per usability. I can live with that, but it would be nice to have the backup camera.

I measured the system voltage at the accessory plug both in accessory and running mode and it is above and seems adequate.

Is the Backup Camera kaput? Or is this another symptom of a malfunctioning or dying MFD? Did the lower level 2006 Prius not have a backup camera on board? Or there but not enabled? And if they were not standard equipment on this model, would Toyota still have switched out the display on the MFD when reverse was selected?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No backup camera on base model 2006.

SM-N900P ?

3. yowoof

yowoof Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the comment. I guess that would be true, if indeed, the Prius was truly a "base" model.

Seems like Toyota made various schedules of "level" for the different model years and country of distribution / marketing. I found some comments indicating that in the USA, the only base models sold in this country were to fleet users, such as corporations and taxi services, which often added their own optional equipment and enhancements (e.g. taxi meters).

My newly adopted Prius is/was a USA version. It has side air bags and cruise control, which from what I've been able to ascertain would not be "base" in any of Toyota's Markets for 2006. That and there is a camera mounted, or at least a body and lense, on the rear hatch - not to mention the interrupt of the MFD display when selecting reverse...

The options are similar to my departed, totalled 2005 Prius, which when purchased, was a option package two, if I recall correctly. But then backup wasn't 'standard' in model year 2005...

Guess my next step is to find some time and pull the cover on the back hatch and take a look see on wiring and what'all is there. The MFD is truely a bit flakey, so MFD RxR is on the 'to do' list. Presuming I can get the car out of the clutches of the other drivers in the family! LOL! ;)

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can take your VIN to a Toyota dealer and have them pull the spec sheet for your particular vehicle. It will tell you all the stuff it should have -- such as a backup cam.

Sort of like the sheet attached to windows of the new cars at the dealer.

I have done this a few times over the past decade or so. They should be happy to do this for free in anticipation of gaining your long loyalty as a service customer and a future car buyer.

There is probably some way to do it yourself online somewhere -- for free or maybe for $$ -- maybe CarFax, but I have always just gone to the dealer.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your car has SKS features, keyless entry, keyless start, then it would not be a "base model"