1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 CEL question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zytra, May 12, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like it's time to weigh your hv battery repair/replacement options. i would still check the 12v first though.

2. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    google tells me it means the HV needs to be replaced.
    who won the bet?

is there any emergency for me to replace it? does it actually make sense to replace considering almost no city driving (>45 mph all the time)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's always worth ask toyota for help. either call directly, or go through the dealer. but that's only if you would have the dealer install.
    if you are going to diy, there are several options.
    i guess if you don't do anything, getting stranded is a possibility, since the hv battery starts the engine.
    theres a good post on line by luscious garage on the p0a80 code.

#23 bisco, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car will leave you stranded and it will be undriveable without a healthy hybrid battery.

S Keith likes this.
  5. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    okay well this just blows =]

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some suggest putting in a new battery, and if the rest of the car gets too expensive to maintain at some point, look around for a good car which needs a battery, buy it and swap the new one in.

7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    +1

You have 3 associated codes with two failing blocks. It could last for months or seconds.

Would you continue to drive on a tire with visible tread separation? The answer to your question is the same.

You MIGHT be a candidate for the Hybrid Automotive Prolong reconditioning system as I suspect your issues are associated with self-discharge rather than individual cell failure.

8. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    are you saying these prolong will do something to my existing battery? I thought these systems were more of tool to extend life of the battery. Heard about them but never really looked into it.

9. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Yes. They extend life by top balancing and reconditioning at the pack level. Check the "quantitative" thread in my sig.

Since you have two "becomes weak" codes following an extended period of sitting, I believe self-discharge pushed some marginal cells out of range, but they have not actually failed. That could only be confirmed by MiniVCI or Torque Pro with the extended PIDs I posted.

Also check the "how to test" thread for results from someone who did the process on a batter with > 300K miles.

10. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm gonna go buy that reconditioner unit now, there is a local shop that has one in stock.
    worse case scenario and it's no help, I'll still have buy a new or refurb battery and this should be handy to keep the new one healthy.

bisco likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why don't you just invest in a new battery now and be done with it? They are suppose to be maintenance free, like the last 10 years from the first battery. Your worst case scenario is just around the corner!

The grid charger is of little help if the battery module has already failed

SM-N900P ?

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Typically, once a Prius battery has coded with a failed module, the reconditioner won't help except if you decide to try to replace module and rebalance. The "becomes weak" codes do not always indicate cell failure. Given your specific circumstances with the extended sitting, I believe you may benefit.

Note that I bolded my previous response. MiniVCI or Torque Pro w/Extended PIDs can confirm voltages. If you can confirm block voltages, it's likely worth pursuing and would require periodic grid charging to stay ahead of the self-discharge.

Additionally, if you would rather crack open the pack and measure all the voltages, that's another way. Just don't electrocute yourself.

13. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really can't drop the 2.5K of a new battery right now. After talking to the guy, I felt comfortable giving this a shot. Charge/balance/Discharge 3 times and see if that takes the failed module codes away and if not, I'll replace the 2 modules @ $40 each and do another 3 cycles of charge/balance/discharge.

I picked up the charger on my way home and will try it in the morning...

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suggest you just buy the 2 modules at $40 each and balance the pack out afterwards. You'll only spend $80 more and you should get a way better result knowing you're not playing around with 2 failed modules.

15. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I wish I could have done that. the logistics of having a single vehicle in trouble makes everything complicated. and I'm not even talking about the fact I am 75 miles away from that shop.
    In order to swap these modules myself I will need my other car back or have them do it which will cost me $250. The insurance can't pick up the volt until Friday, so I am guessing 2 weeks. Another option would be to buy the modules without returning my dead ones which will cost me I believe $15 each. now that I think of it, this one makes sense. I'll give them a call in the morning to see if they're open tomorrow, if not, my failed modules will have to endure another week. with the time I have in hand my guess is that I will only be able to do 3 charges and 2 discharges, unless the capacity is so low that it's much quicker. side note, I was pretty surprised to pull off 40.3 MPG on my round trip to work today (220 miles total). and I really felt like I was never running of the damn HV battery. I don't have much to compare it to but it was roughly 75% highway, 25% bumper to bumper. On my way to work (mostly downhill - my house sits at 6000ft elevation) it was over 60 MPG I don't remember the exact number. installed the prolong system this morning, it was quick and it's charging now.
    just gotta run to the hardware store to pickup some stuff to do the discharge. My harness is discharge ready but I don't think I have any bulb sockets

16. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Why didn't you buy the reconditioning system per my recommendation?

A lot to be said for an easy discharger that just plugs into the harness. Good luck with the hacking.

17. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did, I mean that was the plan. The only local shop that had it was out of the discharger. I did get the charger and discharge ready harness. I just needed a couple bulb sockets and the right bulbs. The only real bummer is the connector.

Right now charge is over and is already into balancing mode. But I'm not quite ready to discharge yet. That damn connector. I can get one from digikey it's a simple AMP brand 4-pin. We use the same at work in 24-pin versions.

18. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you buy extra modules or not? All the balancing and charging/discharging in the world is not going to fix
    what's ailing your HV battery if a cell failed in one of the modules.

Don't get me wrong. I hope you get it repaired and soon.

19. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not yet I will next week though. I had limited time to figure this all out and after reading the reconditionner can kind help bad modules I figured it was worth a shot.
    Heading to fryz now as it seems they carry these 4pin connectors

20. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    And you have the $200 crimping tool?

Anyway, for expediency's sake, if you haven't buttoned everything back up, you could just wire directly to the same terminals to which you have the grid charger harness connected. Use the safety plug as an on/off switch.