1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 CEL question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zytra, May 12, 2016.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Noted. I forgot that Toyota starts the block numbers at 3011 instead of 3001 like most would do. Also
    note that these were on-the-fly comments that were not part of my instructions so I should get a pass for this error.

And I didn't take kindly to your comments S. Keith because I put in more effort in writing the procedure than others
    would. I even left things out by forgetting about them - like the vent tubes on top. So my procedure was incomplete
    and there are probably other things that I could/should have included. We go too much out of the way to help others
    figure out what they should on their own. Maybe they would learn more that way instead of leaning on us.

Your procedure is very spartan and the first time disassembler would be prone to making mistakes by following just
    what you wrote. I agree that flipping the battery upside down is more difficult but I don't like putting it on end
    because I'm the only one working on it and I'm afraid that the battery will fall over and hit the floor if the wife or my kid distracts me,
    which happens a lot, believe me. That's not possible when the battery is laid flat on its tummy.

#81 jadziasman, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  2. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks

Ok so bad module in block 3 (error code P3013) is taken care of.

I've started another 5mn test at 10A on my module 21 and will do the same for module 22.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned before my code reading was done prior to balancing the pack this week end. To what extend the balance would "hide" the bad module or even "fix" it (temporarily)?

If we assume the ECU doesn't lie then the second bad one is of these 2 modules (21 or 22) so comparing both on a longer test should reveal the one failing, right?

3. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5mn test non conclusive:
    21: 7.829 -> 7.358
    22: 7.832 -> 7.365

Will do a 15mn test next...

4. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Just so we're on the same page. Block 3 contains modules 5 and 6 not 21 and 22. The block count starts at the blower end.

It's possible that the voltage on block 4 was just undercharged and did not have a failed cell in either of the two modules. Or the
    capacity of one or both of the cells is less than 3000 mah. The best way to determine this is to charge each module at 6 amps
    and record the capacity reached when the voltage peaks and levels off. You'll need a one channel balance discharger/charger for that
    to record this most accurately - it's not absolutely needed if you have a smart battery charger and a voltmeter.

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Okay. You get a pass on the blocks. I was being a dick.

Per my initial reply, "I respect the intent and the effort." I contribute fairly regularly and spew forth walls of text of my own, so I was acknowledging your efforts. My dislike or disagreement in no way detracts from its value.

If it makes you feel any better... I have forgotten to put the damn hoses on during a build... :)

My kids are 11 and 15, and they know dad will turn into a flying pinwheel of fingernails and teeth if they come anywhere near "the battery room." I respect the challenges in your situation. We are all influenced by our own.

So, I'm calling truce. I appreciate your contributions, and hope you attribute my abrasiveness to my engineering brain and not a lack of respect.

And sometimes I'm just a dick. :)

6. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Noted. So am I. We're men. Ape men.

7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    7.83 to 7.36
    7.83 to 7.37

:)

Agreed; however, OP has numbered them in reverse order. HIS 21 & 22 are ECU block 4. HIS 23 or 24 showed the issue with block 3.

He has already conducted an extended grid charge, which guarantees all CELLS are at 100% SoC. His timed discharge test/voltage target process should be more than sufficient to identify problem module and outliers, but your technique would certainly work.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much corrosion were on the bus bars when you removed the bad blocks?

SM-N900P ?

9. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't removed anything yet.
    Corrosion wise, all of the copper bars were pretty corroded - the one obvious bad block doesn't have its bars corroded more than others as far as I can tell.

What is SM-N900P? edit: wait that's your phone/tablet :D

I just finished the 15 mn test on both 21 and 22 and still non conclusive.

21: 7.65 -> 7.08
    22: 7.66 -> 7.08

I'm started to think that whatever was wrong with one of these 2 cells got fixed by that balancing.

do not know what to think nor what to do. I mean neither of those was any worse than any of the others.

What should I do? replace one of them? neither?
    Or I could buy another one tomorrow and replace both.

Anyway I need to go back to the shop to return the cores and get my 2x $15 back. so if you guys are positive that this P3014 is not a mistake and is an actual sign of soon to die module, I'll just replace both.

thanks

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Corrosion can give you false readings. You should replace modules in pairs, because their capacities won't be exactly the same

SM-N900P ?

11. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks
    Has anyone ever had the case of a false positive trouble code from corrosion?
    I really don't know what to do with those 21/22. I don't mind replacing both but on the other hand on my test they really didn't behave any differently from the other 25 modules that checked out ok.

Speaking of corrosion what's the easiest way to clean those bars and nuts?

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Not positive at all, but it's looking pretty good. Results suggest the "weak" block voltage response was due to imbalance.

Discharge to 6.3V and time it. Report back.

Just recently, theglass had a severely corroded bus bar that actually increased apparent internal resistance into the mid 30s, which cause a "weak" code. Corrosion on the sensing wires can create a similar response.

Since you confessed to not cleaning them, clean those damn bus bars before proceeding.

#92 S Keith, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  13. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll clean the bars. The discharge to 6.3V won't be possible by lack of time. If I have 2 hours to work on this that is all and I need to stop by the shop on my way to work to drop the bad modules and get another one. I'll replace both 21 and 22. It may not be needed. I need to be home all day on friday for the tow company to pickup the volt so I'll use the 3 day week end to discharge the whole pack and recharge a couple times and finish with a full balance. Hopefully that'll do.

14. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    JC and I don't totally agree on the replace them in pairs part.... Run it for another 15. If you're really pulling 10A, 20 minutes run already means the modules are at least half empty. I have found with 100% consistency, the block mate to a failed module is in VERY good shape. As the weaker module in the pair deteriorated, it's voltage started to swing more hastening its demise causing the total cycle depth on the block mate to be reduced even further thus slowing deterioration.

So, should you replace both modules in a block with two well matched modules of known capacity? Not a bad idea. Should you swap out both modules in a block with modules of unknown capacity? Not usually.

Going to warn you that the more you succumb to pressure to get this repair done quickly, the more likely you'll have to do it again sooner rather than later.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would replace the 2 modules in the block, but keep the good block mate as a spare.

SM-N900P ?

16. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Again, I'm not at all convinced anything needs to be replaced in block 4 (21/22). Block 3 (23/24) clearly has issues.

17. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Me neither but if there is any problem with it I'll have to redo it all. Don't get me wrong I had fun doing it but if $40 can remove the doubt on block 4 I think it's worth it. I'll sleep on it.
    Thanks again for all the precious advice guys

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I meant replace the pair in block 3

SM-N900P ?

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know this won't be the last time right? They'll still fail over time

SM-N900P ?

20. zytra

zytra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh I know - I just don't see the corrosion generating that code for block 4. If that's not corrosion then maybe one of them was borderline and balancing brought it back to life for God knows how long. So if I were sure it was corrosion then sure let's skip them but if not it's just a matter of time before it poops me that same code again. If only I had more time to troubleshoot it...