1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 check engine red triangle and hybrid engine !!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by phoebeisis, Oct 8, 2017.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Help
    Son-31-yo just came home
    he had called earlier-
    red triangle came on
    He came home
    1)red triangle
    2)the little "engine" check engine symbol was on
    3)also on the main display the hybrid system warning-car with exclamation point was on-this is my biggest concern-it is awfully "small" for hybrid light??
    I seem to remember MUCH bigger light display when the inverter coolant pump croaked and when the traction battery was dying
    maybe some BIG display on main display-and maybe the car even shut down temporarily??

Car running fine-mpg-fine-no noised coolant levels fine
    My SG is dead so no codes-I will get a reader from AZ tomorrow-maybe it can read hybrid codes

Any chance the Hybrid system warning would come on for a "pure" engine problem
    like a O2 sensor MAF sensor dead cat con charcoal gas vapor system screwed up?
    Or is it STRICTLY hybrid stuff-meaning expensive and dealer only

One week ago he called me to ask it "overfilling" the gas tank was a problem
    He is still vague on why he would out of the blue ask that(my guess is gushing gas but he say he just nursed in a few more 1/10th

My question-will that Hybrid system warning(small car with exclamation point) come on for "pollution control" type problems(which is my fervent hope)
    or is it strictly a Hybrid -meaning pricy trip to dealer-problem
    I

5-6 years ago it -red triangle-came on-it was a covered extended warranty-
    "bad part" inverter coolant pump TSB said "bad parts" so extend warranty
    and 4 years ago it came on-dead traction battery-replaced 41 days before warranty expired
    There might have been some "temporary"won't run with the coolant pump(I wasn't driving it either time)

Thanks-2006 prius 111,000 miles-runs fine
    Charlie

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe you might have a another failed inverter pump. You can check if there's turbulence in the inverter pump reservoir. Open the cap and see if you see water swirling around, when the car is on

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What @JC91006 said. And the AZ reader is very unlikely to read the hybrid codes. But you should get something that will read them, especially if the pump is pumping.

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Thanks for the quick response guys.
    Hmmm-another inverter coolant pump-can't say I'm surprised
    The first one went at about 50,000-60,000 miles-roughly 50,000-60,000 miles ago
    and NOLA is HOT and humid-never a good thing for electrical or "cooling" parts(traction battery went out at 41 days less that 8 years-78,000 miles-not very long or far-but NOLA is hot-and the car is black
    I will eyeball the upper reservoir first light tomorrow
    Come to think of it-it actually seemed a bit "too full" when I glanced under the hood -but that was just a quick impression

Thanks again-this is such a helpful forum
    Charlie

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Slight add on-still predawn-6:30am-maybe 1 hour to full useful light
    I have noticed a funny Clicking/perhaps pumping noise that seem to start as soon as the key enters the car-yeah before actually pushing start(I think-not my regular driver-son's)
    In any case at times after it is off-and maybe before it is on(less sure of the before on)
    I hear a funny sorta muffled clicking-that COULD be some sort of NOT SMOOTH working pump
    Any chance that is the PUMP going bad?
    It has been going on for maybe years
    I seem to remember a much smoother sound being associated with something that would happen AFTER it was turned off?
    Some pump that continued to pump AFTER engine was off-but it was a SMOOTH sound-not a muffler sorta CLICK
    Click is the wrong word-muffler click is more like it
    Thanks
    Charlie
    PS Are these inverter coolant pumps a known problem area?
    Hot in NOLA- the black paint and our heat might have had something to do with early traction battery failure-under 80,000 miles under 8 years

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius makes all sorts of noises. It's practically impossible to tell much from a description. And it's also impossible to tell with any degree of certainty without a proper code reader (not a generic one) unless it's something blatantly obvious such a a failed inverter coolant pump like in JC's post (#2) or no oil on the dipstick.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One set of noises should be the pump filling the "thermos" with hot coolant after shut off and then pumping it out the next time the driver's door is opened. There should be also be noises for the brakes.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Thanks all
    It was the Inverter coolant pump-AGAIN-1st failed at 60,000 miles 51,000 miles and 6 years ago
    I debated DIY vs Dealer
    I had Lakeside Toyota do it-$440 all total $250 labor $127 pump-$20 coolant-$40 tax
    VS getting it from Amazon-$110 and 3 days to arrive
    With Murphy's Law fully in effect-meaning some chance
    1)I would break something doing the repair-1st time doing repair-fair chance it would go wrong
    2) some chance it would be thw WRONG REPAIR-no vibration and no turbulence in reservoir-so small chance
    3) tiny chance one of the fasteners would break-or be too difficult to remove

'All in All I decided to pay another $320 to have Lakeside do it-same day brought in
    Lakeside did the Traction battery replacement-under warranty-no BS extras
    and true to form-not much pressure to get other repairs(some but low key-no it will break and kill you stuff)

Thanks again-great source of great info
    Charlie

PS JimN thanks-I suspect that is the noise I am hearing-since it seems to be strongly associated with the driver's door-
    must be ICE coolant right?
    PPS-How difficult is it to change ICE coolant pump belt?? They said it was cracked-11 years-no surprise-wanted $160-seemed fair price-but if it isn't too hard to reach-I might DIY

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The serpentine belt? Not hard if you don't have "Popeye arms." Took me maybe 10-15 minutes on our Gen 2s. Some people recommend also changing the bearing on the idler pulley while you have it out. Mine felt fine, and I forgot to buy one anyway, so I left it. The only tricky part (and it's not that bad) is getting it correctly into position on the crankshaft pulley and keeping it there till you tighten it.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, hot ICE coolant is pumped into the thermos.

11. Planet Awesum

Planet Awesum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did this and it worked, after having the red triangle on dash and touch screen . I had just replaced the combination meter.

"04-09 Prius procedure. Disable SMART KEY (button that says KEY under steering column), and insert key fob transponder into slot in dash. With foot on brake, push power button and hold the power button in for 30 seconds. Release power button and try to restart."