1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Gen 2 Dash Indicator Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Milton Dorkenhoff, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Milton Dorkenhoff

Milton Dorkenhoff New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Our 2006 Prius (110K miles, original hybrid battery) lit up a bunch of indicators on the dash this evening (attached blurry picture, sorry). About all the manual says is “park it and call the dealer.” Does anyone have any insight into what might cause them? The car ran fine on the short trip home, the hybrid battery appeared to charge, etc. The only obvious thing wrong, apart from the indicators on the dash, was that the cruise control didn’t turn on.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you would like advice that is helpful, you will need to get the codes read using a good OBDII reader and post those codes back here.

There are hundreds of codes to which that combination of lights could relate.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's funny, the lights are turned on by the car's computers, which also set specific trouble codes to explain why they turned the lights on, which is the most direct and efficient way to find out.

But it's not just this poster, it's nearly everybody's first impulse to want to skip the direct efficient way, and just wade into guessing why the lights are on. Which, as dolj pointed out, is not like guessing among two or three suspects, but more like a couple hundred.

4. Milton Dorkenhoff

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I have a reader and was going to plug it in to get the codes, but I read elsewhere that it wouldn’t be useful because a generic reader couldn’t probe all of the possible locations that might have triggered the error.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might as well try your generic scanner- just don't be surprised if it shows "no codes detected". That combination of warning lights MIGHT indicate a problem detected by the hybrid control or High Voltage battery ecu's.

You need a decent mid to upper tier scantool to access all possible ecu's (electronic control units) on a prius. Some here on the forum get a mini VCI cable (with a bootleg copy of Techstream- toyota's diagnostic software) from amazon or ebay and install it on an old windows laptop. There are less "shady" alternatives (better interface cables and Techstream subscription direct from Toyota- fewer problems but more money).

There are apps such as Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant (plus a compatible OBD2 bluetooth adapter) that specifically allow access to codes and data for the HV battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

As mentioned above, always best to retrieve the DTCs and circle back to us.

But given you know 'that thing', my WAG would be the inverter coolant pump (ICP) has failed.

When was the last time the ICP was replaced, as they generally last around 100k, though some have gone much longer.

With the vehicle turned on or ready, you may observe some liquid movement on the surface of the coolant in the reservoir, and you should also be able to feel if the pump is actually working by touching the housing with a finger/pencil/stick/rod.

You're being moderated until you've posted five times.

7. Milton Dorkenhoff

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the posts.

My OBD was $20 on Amazon, certainly not high end, but good enough to pull codes for my motorcycle, which was why I picked it up originally. I took a look at the list of devices supported by Dr Prius; mine is listed as "Mother of all Junks" so I'm going to assume that it doesn't work (it's also wifi whereas Dr Prius says it uses Bluetooth), so I'll pick up another one for the Prius.

I took the car to the dealer, they found PA093. We hadn't replaced the inverter coolant pump (until today). To make me feel good, the dealer pointed me to the TSB (EG001-07) which says that the replacement would have been covered by the warranty 10 years ago :)