1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Halogen headlights size/led conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wiyosaya, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have a 2006 with the standard halogen headlights. The driver's side headlight is out.

I have a couple of questions:
    1. What size are the headlights? It looks to me like they are 9003. Is this correct?
    2. Has anyone done a conversion of these from the halogens to LEDs? If so, how difficult was it, relatively speaking?
    It looks like there are plenty of conversion kits out there that are only marginally more expensive than replacing them with new halogens or with something like Sylvania HID Attitude lights. I have never really liked the halogens, however, when I bought the car, the value of going with a HID conversion kit was not there for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If anything try Philips X-tremeVision replacements. Application guide says 9003....

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Keep the same type of bulb that came with the car. Don't buy the "brighter" halogen bulbs. They get their brightness by burning hotter, thus a shorter service life compared to boring standard halogen bulbs. Ultimately your choice.

Trying to upgrade the halogen bulb to something other than what came w/ the car is a WASTE of money. Why? Very smart people (called Engineers) designed the headlight housing to maximize the light output from the halogen or HID bulb; housing is unique to the bulb, and not interchangeable. LED headlights existed when your car was made. But the very smart people chose NOT to make LED headlights available. Trying to upgrade by retrofitting an LED bulb kit from Amazon/crapBay, into the OEM housing that was designed only for a halogen or HID bulb will produce CRAP light output. Put this "LED" money into a mutual fund; a superior investment.

It is highly recommended to replace bulbs in pairs (esp headlight bulbs)?
    1) The other bulb will burn out soon enough.
    2) Safety. The old bulb will be dim compared to the new bulb. Maximize visibility by both bulbs being bright.
    3) Rear bulbs should also be replaced in pairs too. Choose long life bulbs for obvious reason; minimal cost increase compared to regular life bulbs.

Use the Philips Automotive Bulbs Finder:Find Autmotive bulbs for your vehicle | Philips Automotive Bulb Lookup

GreenApp likes this.
  4. GreenApp

GreenApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can attest to this. I went big for the Ultrawhite Sylvanias, and they lasted all of 6 months or so. Not worth it.