1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 HID Auto Leveling Sensor Picture

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larry9901, Apr 17, 2010.

1. larry9901

larry9901 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well,
    I got the sensor out and opened it up.
    This is it. I think it is wasted.

Anyone think it is salvagable?
    If not, any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement for the cheapest price?
    Is this covered by the tsb for no cost? Car is a 2006 with 40k miles
    If so, can someone post the tsb?

Or, is there a way to turn off the icons illuminated on the dash. I would really like to just turn off the symbols and manually aim the lights.
    [​IMG]

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the part needs to be replaced. The applicable warranty would be for 3 years / 36K miles. If you don't want to replace the part I suppose you could put black tape over the dashboard warning lights, but that seems to be a half-a__ repair.

The part # is 89408-47010 and is pretty expensive at $347 MSRP, $264 plus shipping here:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213747

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine went within a year on my 04. they covered it. of all the things i would never ask for on a car, that has to be near the top.

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thread with some more info here , including the fact that parts can be bought from a lexus that fits, if that happens to be cheaper.

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...04-broken-auto-leveling-headlights-fixed.html

How to aim headlights on a prius, just saw this article today. This also contains advice on lubing the sensor to keep out moisture, I should probably do this soon.
    How to Aim Headlights on a 2005 Toyota Prius | eHow.com

As to your last question, I suppose a resistor could be place in the connector to replace the sensor, but are you sure your car's height will always stay the same, they really are bright. I really do like my HID headlights, no problems so far, I'd recommend just buying salvage, and adding some silicone grease as recommended above. I drive in the country a lot, last year I zip tied on one end a loose piece of inner tube rubber as an additional cover on the sensor to help keep out moisture and dirt. I fastened this on the body of the sensor, draped over the little arm, I believe your picture has it upside down as to the cars connection.

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachme...sor_repair.pdf
    good pictures of a repair in this one