1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 HV ECU Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Knightrider, Mar 7, 2019.

1. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

I agree fully; the ECU is almost unbreakable (except when it does the plasma-arc thing); even then it usually works and could probably be repaired given how much they cost new. Toyota says 'replace the battery ECU' - they certainly make a profit looking at it like that, and they can then say 'you have a new ECU, but you need a new battery'.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t think I have heard of water getting into the battery. Number one reason seems to be electrolytes leaking.

3. Knightrider

Knightrider Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are keeping their 06
    The 05 is what I am purchasing- it has been diag w a bad HV Battery

The 06 is what I will be looking into w the above flow chart.

4. Knightrider

Knightrider Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suppose it would need to be 2" or more deep to pool up in the basin- and fill the spare tire well before that.....

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t know if the dealer can actually see the board without actually removing the battery or not. When you have the battery out take a picture of the board and post it here. There are a few guys that can tell if the board got fried from a picture, or at least can verify is they see the burn spots.

I like this video for the procedure of removing the battery. It gets the top cover off but doesn’t go into the ECM part.