1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 hybrid battery bad cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by woopud, May 8, 2019.

1. woopud

woopud New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have the chance to buy a 2006 Prius for $800 with 139K miles on it, only thing is that it has the Red Triangle Hybrid battery error. I installed Torquo Pro on my phone and used the BlueTooth OBDll adapter. I posted a screenshot of the battery values. I did a lot of research and I'm very capable of pulling the battery and replacing the individual (bad) cells. I know people will say why bother putting a couple of new cells in and have a couple more go bad soon after but I'm willing to live with that for now.
    Just wondering how many people would and how many would not do this.

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Would only do such if the pack was balanced after the replacement.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's fine as long as you know what you are getting into. You're putting a bandaid on it.
    Expect to do it again and again. Getting a bit better at the job each time. Keep doing it until it isn't fun any longer.
    Don't be lazy and try to guess at correct tightness of fasteners. Spend $30 and get a proper inch pound torque wrench for the module and hv fasteners.

Skibob likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    People do it all the time. Eric is correct. Always use Torque wrench’s. Heck it’s an 800 dollar car. Have some fun with it and learn some things. Just remember it’s not going to be as reliable as it would be with new batteries. Knowing that going in and saving all the money on gas will allow you to save up for a new pack.
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

If the car is otherwise in good shape, I would be all over it like white on rice...............

Skibob likes this.
  6. woopud

woopud New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the replies! That's kinda what I was thinking, for $800, put a about $200 or so for a couple of battery cells and drive it. It won't be a daily driver anyway, I figure I save money to buy a new battery later on.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)