1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Hybrid System Warning Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Syed Hasan Mohiuddin, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Syed Hasan Mohiuddin

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone ,

I have a 2006 Prius. About 211K miles. I hadn't started it at all since more than a month. Couple of days back I tried to start it , but the battery was dead and wouldn't even open the doors. Today I opened it with the physical key, jump started the battery with the help of a friend's car, and started to drive it. Within a few meters , three indicator lamps went on
    1) Break warning light (exclamation in circle)
    2) Check engine light
    3) Main warning red triangle

I also noticed that a square icon appeared on the upper left corner of the touch screen display ( I think its called the MFD?) It's a car shape outline, with an exclamation mark on it . I think it is a Hybrid System Warning indicator.

There is a video on youtube, in which the person went through this EXACT same situation and he just replaced the 12v battery. And all the warning lights went off. I am thinking of doing this [youtube(com)/watch?v=GKcagRCH4MQ]

I'll try to attach pics if there is a provision for it.

What do you think it is? If anyone knows for sure, what do you think I should do ? I appreciate anyone and everyone's input and help. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    the 12v appears to be the culprit, but at 14 years and 200k, you cannot be sure until you either test the current battery or replace it with a known good one.

once accomplished, if the lights come back, you will need tech stream to read the trouble codes.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Find a toyota hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner and post the retrieved codes (DTCs) here for further advice.

Many use a "mini-vci cable" and techstream on a windows device, others like OBD2 bluetooth/wifi adapters and an App like Dr Prius, etc.

Here is a link to help pick out a decent adapter : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

You might try scanning for free at one of the local auto parts stores (try them all), but the scanners may or may not be fully compatible.

Try to read the OBD2 codes before replacing, disconnecting or draining the 12 battery, as that will erase them.

How many miles are you driving per week?