1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 key fob stopped working, CR2032 replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kutcht1, Jan 16, 2017.

1. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have searched way to many hours and have not gotten anything figured out yet so....
    Non-smart black logo fob, one of my key fobs stopped unlocking/locking my doors but will start car.
    My other key fob still works as it should normally.
    Replaced battery thinking this was going to be an easy solution, no difference.
    I then tried the other CR2032 battery and checked it, no difference.
    Once new fob battery is installed when pressing buttons I do NOT get the small red light, but I do see it blink a few times right away after I place then CR2032 battery into the fob.
    I have found a few chicken dance fob programming instructions thinking that maybe it needs to be re-programmed after a new battery, no difference.
    Am I missing something here?
    Thanks,
    TomK

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you did the chicken dance correctly (it's easy to get wrong BTDT) and your new battery is good (switched out with good FOB?), then the chip in the FOB may have gone bad. The car can remember up to 5 FOB's so you can get a NEW one (I got an extra from Amazon for $90) and pair it via the chicken dance. DO NOT buy a cheap used one, it will not pair.

Good Luck!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure none of the buttons are sticking.

4. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, none of the programming steps I found were overly clear as one said to push the ON button on the fob. I also never got the programming to do what was supposed to work at the end. Does anyone have clear steps or know where I can find them.
    TomK

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If one of the buttons is stuck on, say the panic button, then you will not be able to successfully do the chicken dance. Having said that, if one of the buttons is stuck and you free it, you will not need to do the chicken dance.

bisco likes this.
  6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One option is to move the circuit board and transponder chip to a replacement case. That would solve any problem with the rubber membrane. But before even buying a new case, you could take the old one apart and see if the circuit board will work by itself. You'll have to hold the battery in place. See if the LED blinks properly when you press the bare switches.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure it is a CR2032?

Both my cars with fobs (Gen3 Prius and a Subaru) require the less-available CR1632.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes cr2032 on gen2

9. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will have to dig deeper into this sticking button thing as they do not appear to be sticking. Will take it apart and to the circuit board test with just a battery if I do not end up breaking the thing. Thanks guys, will report back if I find anything.
    TomK

bisco likes this.
  10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can open the Toyota case by spreading a pair of needle nose pliers in the mechanical key space. Take the sliding cover and battery out first. I've opened several cases, and none of them were destroyed by the process, but it wouldn't surprise me. The replacement cases available now just click together, and can be taken apart again easily.