1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 LCD screen flashes "PROBLEM" no explanation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by leowesman, Jan 30, 2011.

1. leowesman

leowesman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2006 ~80K miles. Occasional beep sounds, once accompanied by lcd screen displaying word "PROBLEM." I stopped switching off vehicle. Next time when turned on it behaved normally, but I am spooked that something major will happen.
    Owners' manual doesn't show anything.
    What is the most likely interpretation?

Thanks

Leo

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 with 40K mi; but I've never seen this message. Hmmmm? Maybe it was just an "anomaly". I wouldn't worry about it unless it's accompanied by some other indication.

3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have the original 12 volt battery? If so, change it!

4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vertex is on the right track, a low 12v system can cause this. It's worth at least having the battery checked, though I wouldn't recommend just blindly replacing it.

Rarely, I have seen an error on the CAN bus cause this, and it self-recovers, so it's nothing to worry about.

If it is serious, the car will set a code and you will get a triangle of death.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When was the last time that you checked your engine oil level? If you haven't checked it for a while, I suggest you do that NOW.

6. leowesman

leowesman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's the resolution: We had the oil changed at Walmart and they had not reset the computer. We do still have the original 12 V. battery that so far has not shown a need to replace, but will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the responses! Leo

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "Maintenance required" indicator is supposed to be reset after an oil change. "Problem" is not the same indicator. You may still have a problem.

8. leowesman

leowesman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota service personnel performed a $155 check on all systems including battery and found nothing else at fault. However, only time will tell whether another fault was not diagnosed. Thanks! Leo

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. ThatCrazyLady

ThatCrazyLady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I became thankful for the above conversation this week. Oh boy, how the internet changes things. Here is my experience with this.

Took my Prius in for an oil change on Monday. Here I am SAHM in during business hours with lots of time to spare sitting there in my yoga pants waiting. The service advisor approaches me over an hour later showing me my engine air filter covered with Live Oak nuts and leaves telling me it needs to be replaced. I know how old it is and I know it does but to go through cleaning the filter at the windshield was too much. (yes it was clean when I got the car back) So they sell a cabin air filter and engine filter, that I’m capable of changing myself, with the oil change.

Then on Friday the error in this thread appears. I see on this and the other boards that it is oil related. I look at the oil and under the car. CRAP! They spent more time selling those air filters than properly screwing on that oil filter. Oil all over the bottom of the car and on my clean garage floor very little in the car. (pinch in the O-ring!)

Yea, lost a customer over the sale of $80 in filters. Never assume the woman knows little!

11. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    where did you go? I would call them and tell them their "tech" is incompetent and will cost them big $$ in blown up motor lawsuits.