1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 MFD w/ backup, part # needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MikeSF, Nov 13, 2013.

1. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So my MFD only half*ssed works. The touch screen is picky over whether or not you "touch it" in that it sometimes works, often doesn't, and sometimes even thinks your touching another part of the screen. Needless to say it needs replacement.

Now I think I screwed it up when I put one of those suction cup mounts for a hand held GPS on it. I imagine it may have forced the screen away from the touchpad and screwed it all up. I say I think, because I didn't notice anything when it happened, went on vacation for 10 days with the car at my fathers place, so who knows what he did... didn't notice issue until I got back. But I'm sure it was me.

So I need to replace the screen, however I have no idea what part number fits my car, other than taking the old one out and checking, and I'd rather only remove it once, as it looks like quite a bit of the dash needs to get pulled out before you can get to it.

2006 prius, with back up camera, everything else is standard, no navigation or any of that.
    I'm finding part numbers ranging from 47071, 47081, 47210. 47220 and but not finding any info on which part I need.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If you contact Steve at Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV, he can help you to identify the one you need as well as providing a replacement that was salvaged from a wrecked Prius and tested at a reasonable cost.

JeffD

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Using a GPS mount on the touch screen is a sure way to destroy it as you have found. There is a post on here about replacing just the touch screen and where it can be bought if you are confident about dismantling the MFD to replace it.

John (Britprus)

4. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... wasn't exactly my brightest of moments. Anyways, happen to have to know of the post, or at the very least which words I should use in the search field? I figure I'm going to rip the old MFD out anyways, if I can get away with finding just a screen for cheaper all the better. From what I've seen savaged MFDs are running anywhere from $150-400, of course without knowing a part number they're too expensive for me to gamble on the correct part.

From what I've been reading is the the one with the backup camera has a higher resolution display or something.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will see what I can find. I have been looking for that post as well it was not to long ago. Someone else will chime in with the details hopefully. The search system on PC I find to be very hit and miss.
    From memory the touch screen was about $100 but could be wrong.

John (Britprius)

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks John.

After looking at a YouTube video and seeing someone disassemble, replace, and reassemble in 6 minutes flat I decided to pop out the old one just to find the part number. What a frigging racket these auto dealerships have, reminds me of the time they told me it'd cost $80 to replace the cabin air filter because there was 0.75 hours of labor... should be illegal to lie about time it takes.

8. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And of course I can find a 47210 for $130, but a 47230 will cost me twice that.

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah I know, and it really is criminal to what they're marking up repairs like this for not only item (which I'm sure they pay the same secondary market price) but for the labor costs that they claim.

That said, its just sad to see one version is half the price which does probably the same thing, just with different plugs.

11. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Woohoo, $170 for a used one on eBay, and 10 minutes later the touch screen works perfectly, take some lessons Toyota dealership with your 4 hours of labor needed!

Unfortunate thing is I went into the diagnostic and saw my battery running at 11.9V with no load on it. Now I need to replace that.