1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Nav DVD

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by walt, May 6, 2006.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jr1972 @ Jun 1 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]264372[/snapback]</div>
    I presume you've kicked up her voice volume? I forget where the setting is.

2. ribbs

ribbs New Member

You guys rock.

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Does the NAV system actually "boot" off the DVD? If so we could try making a bootable disc, kinda like the Sega Dreamcast allows. Then we could get it to do anything...

But, it also might have the entire program loaded onto some flash memory and it simply pulls data from the DVD.

4. ginostef

ginostef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Aug 3 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]297183[/snapback]</div>
    BTW - did anyone ever say how to backup the disc so we can fool around with it? I think it requires the double density DVD and DVD+Rs, but not sure what to rip it with. Anybody know?

You guys remind me of my college days - I'm glad.

5. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginostef @ Aug 7 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]299147[/snapback]</div>
    It does require a double layer DVD. On a mac, you can simply use the "Disk Utility" to rip and burn a useable copy. I don't think there's any copy protection on it.

6. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ May 10 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]252948[/snapback]</div>

Very cool feature, I learn something every day in here!!

7. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitestar @ May 10 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]253151[/snapback]</div>
    Does this mean that I could take the file for the British Emily and use it to replace the file for the American Jill and get a nav unit with a British accent? Has anyone tried this?

8. ucsbgaucho

ucsbgaucho New Member

About a year ago, I thought a great idea would be starting up a company to replace nav voices with celebrity ones, and then just today did a search on google and saw there IS a company starting to do this with Mr T, Dennis Hopper, and Burt Reynolds for the TomTom and other generic nav systems. I think trying to do it on a mass scale for the factory nav systems would require all the various car companies going to a standard format, at least a standard use of words, phrases, etc... so that you could swap out files more easily.

But I dont see why you couldnt dig into the nav DVD and find the audio files, replace them with your own voice or whatever you want, and try to run it off a burned copy of the disc. That's another thing, will the nav operate off a burned copy of the actual nav disc, or only the original?

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ May 8 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]251819[/snapback]</div>
    I've entered this thread quite late, as I've just thought about upgrading to the 6.1 Nav DVD. I ran into a problem about how to eject the DVD and found the start of this thread to see Walt's description of how to pull the DVD. Ultimately, my problem was that I just can't read (or see) black writing on black background in low light. Anyway, I'm in the process of creating an iso file of the 4.2 DVD as I read and write.

Definitely off topic (except for the endian issue), but I'm still using Amiga software running on WinUAE.
    Motorola's approach always has made more sense to me. Actually, I've never programmed assembly on anything but Motorola (unless you count what I did with early on with the Z80 and the little bit with the 6502 on my son's Commodore 64).

Well, the image file is almost done, and I see why someone either elsewhere in this or another thread said you needed a DL DVD. It's 85% done and the iso is already nearly 7 gig.

Dave M.

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ May 6 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]250857[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize I had a use for it until today, when I got hung at step 5 above.
    As I indicated to Bob R. several posts later, my problem is I can't read black on black.

Dave M.

11. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 7 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]251119[/snapback]</div>

Rick or Walt,

I'm really late in asking this, but I just pulled the DVD from the Nav unit this weekend for the first time.
    I did do a straight disc copy using Nero and the copy is now in my Nav unit. The original is sitting in my computer.

The only .DAT files present are VIRTUAL0.DAT and VIRTUAL1.DAT. Those are only 448k apiece.
    There's nothing that has anything with JILL.DAT or JIL.DAT as a part of the file name that I can find.
    Am I really missing something, or is that a change from the 4.2 to 5.1 (or 6.1) version?

Dave M.

12. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What's new in the 6.1 Nav Dvd?

How current is the data on it?

13. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ May 7 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]250857[/snapback]</div>

All the pictures are gone. :(

14. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Mar 3 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]399575[/snapback]</div>
    ========

Apparently the images got disconnected from the post during a system crash. So, here they are again.

Walt

========

Step 1 - Slide the driver's seat all the way toward the front of the car. Press the "power button" (with foot off the brake, you don't want to start the car, just get some juice to all the electrical components).

Step 2 - Open the back seat door, and take a look.

[attachmentid=6773]

Step 3 - Locate the outer plastic "dust" cover that protects the dvd slot. Two tabs, press down on the tabs to release them. My finger is on the left tab in this photo, and a red circle is around the right tab ...

[attachmentid=6774]

Step 4 - ... and remove the "dust" cover.

[attachmentid=6775]

Step 5 - Now that we actually can see the dvd player, if you look closely, there is a small button that says "push" - my finger is on the button - push the button in and ...

[attachmentid=6776]

Step 6 - ... while holding the button in, slide your finger and the button to the left. The dvd will pop out - this is why the electricity is needed - the dvd has a small motor to slide the dvd in and out.

[attachmentid=6777]

Step 7 - Use your favorite backup software (I used Alcohol 120%) and back up your nav dvd. As you can see, the US nav dvd is version 05.1.

[attachmentid=6778]

Step 8 - For info purposes, the dvd contains US data current through 2004, although the 05.1 version dvd was mastered in August 2005. To return your nav system to a useable state, reverse the steps (insert dvd, slide button to right, replace external "dust" cover, return driver's seat to its normal position).

Attached Files:

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Feb 17 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]392156[/snapback]</div>
    To continue off topic:
    Ah, the 6502. I 'grew up' on that processor, first with the Apple II and PET during early High School, and then with the Atari 800 and later generations during latter HS and college before moving to the IBM PC clone.
    I had the technical manual on the Atari that had EVERYTHING about the 800, from the schematic, descriptions of the custom chips, down to the OS (BIOS really) code. Man I miss those days.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Mar 14 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]405241[/snapback]</div>
    Yeh. It's like cars today. You can hardly do anything at the hardware level anymore, other then plug in cards (or change your oil). The electronic items are all too much beyond the hobbiest these day.

I'd forgotten all about the PET, although I think my son's high school had some.

I'm confused (or at least forgetful). I thought my son had an Atari 500 when he was in college. I bought one for him a year or two after I got the Amiga 1000 (That must have been around '86 or '87. It that the right timing for those machines?). Actually, when he was still in his junior year or earlier of high school I bought him an "Ohio Scientific". That name just pops into my head, and I don't remember what processor it had.

I also bought a Radio Shack (I believe) CoCo, because it had a 6809 assembler plug in cartridge. That was also less than 20 years ago though.

Boy, my memory is gone. I just googled Atari 500 and could only find Atari 400 and 800. Maybe I got him the 400. I could have sworn it was a 500 and also used the 68k processor. Oh well. I'll have to ask him the next time I talk to him.

To continue OT with my long winded replay:

How much memory did the basic 800 come with?

Dave M.

17. bulek

bulek Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Mar 15 2007, 02:45 AM) [snapback]405769[/snapback]</div>
    Early versions of 800 had 16KB of RAM and later 48KB. 800XL had 64KB but it was sharing the last 16KB of adress space with ROM... you could read/write there by switching ROM off/on. That was really really good time :rolleyes:

- Piotr

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bulek @ Apr 12 2007, 03:03 AM) [snapback]421952[/snapback]</div>
    Well I finally checked with my son today. I was sort of right originally. It wasn't an Atari 500 he had, but the Atari ST 520. It had 0.5 MB of ram and had the 68k processor. I remembered the processor and memory correctly, but not the model number.

Dave M.

19. roryjr

roryjr Member

I remember those days. I started with an Atari 600XL. 16k of memory and absolutely no way to save. Your TV was your monitor. I eventually got a tape drive (crap), a 4 color plotter, and finally a disk drive. I moved up to the 130XE. It had 128k of memory but you had to do some bank switching to use it. I just used it as a ram disk. I learned Basic and a smidgen of assembly and machine (binary?). Programmed an unfinished space fight(graphics 8 with the text box black and periods for stars) and a text adventure. I eventually got an MIO and hard disk controller. When I finally got the hard disk, I could not make it work and I was back in the sticks where all BBS's were long distance. Those were the days.

20. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thought I'd bump this up since I've had a look at the DVD.

I strongly suspect the voice file is customized for this application, so you aren't going to be able to drop in some MP3 clips. The voice platform is (after some mergers) Nuance's RealSpeak Solo. They've used the PromptSculptor feature to clean up the canned phrases ("The route guidance will begin now.")

Here's a list of the supported voices, including the Prius' Jill.

I'm not really sure how the voice files are compiled -- it could be that you could open the Jill file and tinker with it using RealSpeak. OTOH, it may use source files that are compiled into the final voice file and can't decompile.

Anyway, RealSpeak is not something you're going to buy off the shelf. It's an expensive commercial application.

Looking in the firmware file, LOADING.KWI, there are some interesting text strings, like
    There are also some DVD video player keywords like "Angle" and "Subtitle".